Most of them are very picky, on the make, and ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

vectra

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
Hello!
Some of the British dictionaries I looked through do say that the expression 'to be on the make' means to be after profit, money and so on.
But to avoid ambiguity, I have made some changes. Now my sentences read:
Andrea: You know most of our customers are very picky, ROLLING IN MONEY=IN THE MONEY, and expect the highest-quality service.
Does it sound OK this time? (a new idiom BE ROLLING IN MONEY or IN THE MONEY instead of TO BE ON THE MAKE).

And two other questions, please:
The hotel is a real MONEY-SPINNER for our company. (a money-spinner is an expression we learning)

You remember the farewell party we gave Mr Orson last year? He was given a GOLDEN HANDSHAKE for his 40-something service.
The thing is a golden handshake is used mainly in relation to the bosses or managers of large companies. Is it OK to use this expression in this context?
And I have also changed the following sentence as SoothingDave prompted me to do: 'It is time I pulled the plug on you.' Now it reads: 'It is time I pulled the plug on this problem.'
Could you tell me, please, if the sentences are OK now.

Thank you for the time and help

Leandro-Z

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Argentina
Current Location
Argentina
I couldn`t find it in the dictionary. I would also say: We make sure our hotel covers all needs and that our guests get the best that money can buy, that`s why we are so prestiguos, because we make our visitors feel at home.

Pedroski

Member Type
Other
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
China
'on the make' is to be looking for your own advantage/financial advantage, generally at the cost of others, though not necessarily. Maybe you just want to get promoted.

You know most of our customers are very picky, ROLLING IN MONEY(=very rich), and expect the highest-quality service. 'in the money' is not wrong here, but I prefer 'rolling in money'.

A money spinner produces a lot of cash.

A golden handshake is a sum of money given to an employee on leaving. I don't think it has to be a boss.

'It's time I pulled the plug on you.' is ok. 'It's time I pulled the plug on this problem.' is also good.

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I can't say that I've ever seen either money spinner or golden handshake. They are not common in American English, though based on the comment above they are alive and well elsewhere.

(Cash cow and golden parachute.)

Status
Not open for further replies.