Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Argentina
Current Location
Argentina
I would like you to check this comp. of my own, as I would like to see my mistakes...

Dear Hugh,
Your last letter was charming and all of us were glad to hear from you again. I am writing in connection to your request. Therefore, I will write some pieces of advice that you could take into consideration.
First of all, while talking to a teacher you should not get nervous, it increases the possibilities to get lost, and consequently, to bore the professor with nonsense speech.
Another aspect you need to bear in mind is to organise the topics you are going to talk about. It helps a lot while having to converse about an specific issue such as the universal inflation, the global warming, politics in general, today technology, the uses of the Internet, etc.
Finally, I advise you to practise the right and necessary. A good way to implement this methodology is to make a timetable with all the subjects you need to study. Moreover, you could also have a conversation with your mate, and as a result you will be much more prepared for
the oral examination.
Hoping this will be useful, I greet you and give the family salute.
Yours sincerely,
Leandrito

TheParser

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I would like you to check this comp. of my own, as I would like to see my mistakes...

Dear Hugh,
Your last letter was charming and all of us were glad to hear from you again. I am writing in connection to your request. Therefore, I will write some pieces of advice that you could take into consideration.
First of all, while talking to a teacher you should not get nervous, it increases the possibilities to get lost, and consequently, to bore the professor with nonsense speech.
Another aspect you need to bear in mind is to organise the topics you are going to talk about. It helps a lot while having to converse about an specific issue such as the universal inflation, the global warming, politics in general, today technology, the uses of the Internet, etc.
Finally, I advise you to practise the right and necessary. A good way to implement this methodology is to make a timetable with all the subjects you need to study. Moreover, you could also have a conversation with your mate, and as a result you will be much more prepared for the oral examination.
Hoping this will be useful, I greet you and give the family salute.
Yours sincerely,
Leandrito

NOT A TEACHER

(1) You have written a very nice letter. In modern English, however,

it is suggested that letters be short, come to the point, and avoid un-

necessary words.

Your last letter was charming and all of us were glad to hear from you

again. [The two sentences that follow are unnecessary: it is assumed

that you are answering his letter. It is not necessary to tell him.]

First ["of all" is unnecessary], while talking with a teacher, you should

not get nervous because you may get confused and bore the professor.

You also ["also" = "another aspect you need to bear in mind."] should

carefully organize specific topics, such as:

inflation, global warming, the Internet, politics, etc.

Finally, draw up a practice schedule. If possible, get a classmate to

help you with the questions and answers that you may face in the

oral examination.

Please give my warmest regards to your family.

(2) I am sure that someone else will do a much better job in

revising your letter. I just wanted to make the point that English

readers appreciate "tightly written" letters. Some languages are

very "flowery" (full of unnecessary words). Modern English is

very "lean." (All the fat is cut away.)

Leandro-Z

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Argentina
Current Location
Argentina
Thank you very much. I am glad to know that the fact that I have spent most of my lifetime learning English is now showing its results. To my mind, the points you made on my "long explanation of the things" is because I am so related to British English I cannot omit its eloquence.

Thank you again and know that I look forward to hearing from you soon. It was truly a pleasure to exchange ideas.

Yours,
Lendrito

Status
Not open for further replies.