Results 1 to 7 of 7
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Ukrainian
      • Home Country:
      • Ukraine
      • Current Location:
      • Ukraine

    • Join Date: Sep 2010
    • Posts: 3,469
    #1

    no sooner

    1)"No sooner had he come to the office when the rang."

    OR

    2)"He had no sooner come to the office when th ephone rang."

    Is it possible to use Pat Simple here?


    3)No sooner did he come to the office when the phone rang."
    Last edited by ostap77; 04-Oct-2010 at 19:06.

  1. Senior Member
    Interested in Language
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Serbo-Croatian
      • Home Country:
      • Bosnia Herzegovina
      • Current Location:
      • Bosnia Herzegovina

    • Join Date: Nov 2007
    • Posts: 844
    #2

    Re: no sooner

    /A learner/

    Inversion

    1. No sooner had he come to the office than the phone rang.


    Does this mean that the phone rang immediately after he got into the office.

    2. No sooner had I answered your question than one of the teachers posted as well.

    Does this mean that the teacher posted immediately after I did it.

    G. "No sooner did he come to the office when the phone rang."

    Could be that the past perfect must be used for the first action and the simple past for the second so as to indicate that the two actions didn't happen at the same time but one immediately after another.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Ukrainian
      • Home Country:
      • Ukraine
      • Current Location:
      • Ukraine

    • Join Date: Sep 2010
    • Posts: 3,469
    #3

    Re: no sooner

    Quote Originally Posted by e2e4 View Post
    /A learner/

    Inversion

    1. No sooner had he come to the office than the phone rang.


    Does this mean that the phone rang immediately after he got into the office.

    2. No sooner had I answered your question than one of the teachers posted as well.

    Does this mean that the teacher posted immediately after I did it.

    G. "No sooner did he come to the office when the phone rang."

    Could be that the past perfect must be used for the first action and the simple past for the second so as to indicate that the two actions didn't happen at the same time but one immediately after another.

    No. I'd like to get comments on the three sentences. I doubt the third one being correct. Just want to make sure.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • China

    • Join Date: Apr 2009
    • Posts: 670
    #4

    Re: no sooner

    No sooner did he come to the office when the phone rang. Is ok. Sounds like reported speech, I am telling you, or you are telling someone.

    Anyway, no sooner did he come to the office when the phone rang. So he picks it up. A voice says: 'You are a dead man.'

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Ukrainian
      • Home Country:
      • Ukraine
      • Current Location:
      • Ukraine

    • Join Date: Sep 2010
    • Posts: 3,469
    #5

    Re: no sooner

    Quote Originally Posted by Pedroski View Post
    No sooner did he come to the office when the phone rang. Is ok. Sounds like reported speech, I am telling you, or you are telling someone.

    Anyway, no sooner did he come to the office when the phone rang. So he picks it up. A voice says: 'You are a dead man.'
    \

    So it would mean the same thing as in

    "No sooner had he cime to the office when the phone rang."?

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • China

    • Join Date: Apr 2009
    • Posts: 670
    #6

    Re: no sooner

    Yeah, that's the same.

  2. Senior Member
    Interested in Language
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Serbo-Croatian
      • Home Country:
      • Bosnia Herzegovina
      • Current Location:
      • Bosnia Herzegovina

    • Join Date: Nov 2007
    • Posts: 844
    #7

    Re: no sooner

    Quote Originally Posted by ostap77 View Post
    \

    So it would mean the same thing as in

    "No sooner had he come to the office when the phone rang."?
    Is it possible to use the inversion this way

    No sooner than the phone rang had he come to the office.

    Thanks

Similar Threads

  1. No sooner
    By Tdol in forum Advanced
    Replies: 45
    Last Post: 02-Jan-2012, 03:14
  2. no sooner,hardly
    By ostap77 in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 04-Oct-2010, 18:53
  3. [Grammar] No sooner... than
    By Unregistered in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 15-Apr-2009, 13:31
  4. no sooner....than
    By Vamsy in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 13-Dec-2008, 03:12
  5. no sooner... than
    By beachboy in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 01-Nov-2008, 11:47

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •