• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

Smile ?

Have you ever been in a situation ___ you know the other person is right yet you cannot agree with him?

A. in which B. that C. where 

I think " in which"="where", they r both correct, but I dont know why "that " is incorrect.
    Do they share the same reason for this sentence?
    She remembered several occasions in the past when she had experienced a similar feeling.
    Last edited by *^^*; 05-Oct-2010 at 10:23.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

Re: ?

Quote Originally Posted by *^^* View Post
    Have you ever been in a situation ___ you know the other person is right yet you cannot agree with him?

A. in which B. that C. where 

I think " in which"="where", they r both correct, but I dont know why "that " is incorrect.
    Do they share the same reason for this sentence?
    She remembered several occasions in the past when she had experienced a similar feeling.
    I'm, not sure what you mean by 'share the same reason for' but I assume you mean 'have the same meaning as' - which (apart from philosophical problems about what we mean by 'the same' and 'meaning') is true (for A and C).

b

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

Re: ?

PS - re B:

Think about the sentence
    'Have you ever been in a situation that you can't control?' There's a clear link between the verb in the relative clause and the 'that'; 'that' (the situation) is the object of 'control'.

In 'Have you ever been in a situation that you know the other person is right yet you cannot agree with him?' there is no such link. It is wrong.

But you could (but wouldn't ) say:

Have you ever been in a situation that is one in which you know the other person is right yet you cannot agree with him?

b