Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 14
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Polish
      • Home Country:
      • Poland
      • Current Location:
      • Poland

    • Join Date: Jul 2010
    • Posts: 5,098
    #1

    "is _the_ subject of ongoing research"

    Quote Originally Posted by http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tsunami
    The Greek historian Thucydides was the first to relate tsunami to submarine earthquakes, but understanding of tsunami's nature remained slim until the 20th century and is the subject of ongoing research.
    Why "the subject"? I'd use "a" if I wanted "subject" as a noun or nothing if I wanted it as an adjective.
    PS: Oh, I couldn't use it as an adjective with "of", sorry.
    Last edited by birdeen's call; 05-Oct-2010 at 13:17.


    • Join Date: Jul 2010
    • Posts: 111
    #2

    Re: "is _the_ subject of ongoing research"

    Quote Originally Posted by birdeen's call View Post
    Why "the subject"? I'd use "a" if I wanted "subject" as a noun or nothing if I wanted it as an adjective.
    we cannot use 'a' because it is a specific subject i.e. 'tsunami' and not a general one. we must use 'the'

  1. Barb_D's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Mar 2007
    • Posts: 19,218
    #3

    Re: "is _the_ subject of ongoing research"

    Actually, I find either article okay there.

    There are many things being researched and this is A subject of research, among all the others. However, the author is speaking about a specific type of research, so "the " works as well.

    I'd actually prefer "the" if it went on to say who and where was researching -- it is the subject of ongoing research by seismologists at the University of Barb.
    I'm not a teacher, but I write for a living. Please don't ask me about 2nd conditionals, but I'm a safe bet for what reads well in (American) English.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Polish
      • Home Country:
      • Poland
      • Current Location:
      • Poland

    • Join Date: Jul 2010
    • Posts: 5,098
    #4

    Re: "is _the_ subject of ongoing research"

    Quote Originally Posted by shoaib 1 View Post
    we cannot use 'a' because it is a specific subject i.e. 'tsunami' and not a general one. we must use 'the'
    If "tsunami" should have "the", why doesn't it? "To relate tsunami to submarine earthquakes"

    But my question wasn't about what stands before "tsunami" but before "subject".

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Polish
      • Home Country:
      • Poland
      • Current Location:
      • Poland

    • Join Date: Jul 2010
    • Posts: 5,098
    #5

    Re: "is _the_ subject of ongoing research"

    Quote Originally Posted by Barb_D View Post
    Actually, I find either article okay there.

    There are many things being researched and this is A subject of research, among all the others. However, the author is speaking about a specific type of research, so "the " works as well.

    I'd actually prefer "the" if it went on to say who and where was researching -- it is the subject of ongoing research by seismologists at the University of Barb.
    Thanks! It's strange, because no "subject of ongoing research" is mentioned either before or after that, but if that's how you say it, I can only accept...

  2. Barb_D's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Mar 2007
    • Posts: 19,218
    #6

    Re: "is _the_ subject of ongoing research"

    Is "tsunami" the plural of "tsunami"? It should be plural, and I say "tsunamis" but maybe I am ignorant in the plural forms of major natural disasters.
    I'm not a teacher, but I write for a living. Please don't ask me about 2nd conditionals, but I'm a safe bet for what reads well in (American) English.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Polish
      • Home Country:
      • Poland
      • Current Location:
      • Poland

    • Join Date: Jul 2010
    • Posts: 5,098
    #7

    Re: "is _the_ subject of ongoing research"

    Quote Originally Posted by Barb_D View Post
    Is "tsunami" the plural of "tsunami"? It should be plural, and I say "tsunamis" but maybe I am ignorant in the plural forms of major natural disasters.
    I've looked it up and they say it's "tsunamis". But when I read that part I didn't think they meant the plural form. To me, there's no article there because they meant the phenomenon of tsunami.

  3. Barb_D's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Mar 2007
    • Posts: 19,218
    #8

    Re: "is _the_ subject of ongoing research"

    Then English grammar would require it to be in the plural.
    I'm not a teacher, but I write for a living. Please don't ask me about 2nd conditionals, but I'm a safe bet for what reads well in (American) English.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Polish
      • Home Country:
      • Poland
      • Current Location:
      • Poland

    • Join Date: Jul 2010
    • Posts: 5,098
    #9

    Re: "is _the_ subject of ongoing research"

    So it should be "tsunamis' nature" too, right?

  4. lauralie2's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • China

    • Join Date: Dec 2009
    • Posts: 774
    #10

    Re: "is _the_ subject of ongoing research"

    Quote Originally Posted by Barb_D View Post
    Is "tsunami" the plural of "tsunami"?
    Well, ... Merriam Webster offers noun plural tsunamis also tsunami.

    I agree with birdeen's call that tsunami doesn't need an article/determiner there--even though it sounds awkward without it.


    • tsunami's nature (OK)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. meaning of "matter" & "subject"
    By yuhan in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 15-Jul-2010, 07:20
  2. [General] Better wording of "located at research institution"
    By Unregistered in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 14-May-2010, 16:43
  3. [General] "research grant holder" and Ph.D. qestions
    By trapanipalermo in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 21-Feb-2009, 10:13
  4. Replies: 8
    Last Post: 03-Mar-2008, 23:49
  5. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-Aug-2005, 06:03

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •