Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tsunami said:
The Greek historian Thucydides was the first to relate tsunami to submarine earthquakes, but understanding of tsunami's nature remained slim until the 20th century and is the subject of ongoing research.
Why "the subject"? I'd use "a" if I wanted "subject" as a noun or nothing if I wanted it as an adjective.
PS: Oh, I couldn't use it as an adjective with "of", sorry.

Last edited:

shoaib 1

Member Type
English Teacher
Why "the subject"? I'd use "a" if I wanted "subject" as a noun or nothing if I wanted it as an adjective.
we cannot use 'a' because it is a specific subject i.e. 'tsunami' and not a general one. we must use 'the'

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Actually, I find either article okay there.

There are many things being researched and this is A subject of research, among all the others. However, the author is speaking about a specific type of research, so "the " works as well.

I'd actually prefer "the" if it went on to say who and where was researching -- it is the subject of ongoing research by seismologists at the University of Barb.

birdeen's call

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
we cannot use 'a' because it is a specific subject i.e. 'tsunami' and not a general one. we must use 'the'

If "tsunami" should have "the", why doesn't it? "To relate tsunami to submarine earthquakes"

But my question wasn't about what stands before "tsunami" but before "subject".

birdeen's call

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
Actually, I find either article okay there.

There are many things being researched and this is A subject of research, among all the others. However, the author is speaking about a specific type of research, so "the " works as well.

I'd actually prefer "the" if it went on to say who and where was researching -- it is the subject of ongoing research by seismologists at the University of Barb.
Thanks! It's strange, because no "subject of ongoing research" is mentioned either before or after that, but if that's how you say it, I can only accept... ;-)

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Is "tsunami" the plural of "tsunami"? It should be plural, and I say "tsunamis" but maybe I am ignorant in the plural forms of major natural disasters.

birdeen's call

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
Is "tsunami" the plural of "tsunami"? It should be plural, and I say "tsunamis" but maybe I am ignorant in the plural forms of major natural disasters.
I've looked it up and they say it's "tsunamis". But when I read that part I didn't think they meant the plural form. To me, there's no article there because they meant the phenomenon of tsunami.

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Then English grammar would require it to be in the plural.

birdeen's call

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
So it should be "tsunamis' nature" too, right?

lauralie2

Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
China
Is "tsunami" the plural of "tsunami"?
Well, ... Merriam Webster offers [FONT=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica]noun plural tsunamis also tsunami.[/FONT]

I agree with birdeen's call that tsunami doesn't need an article/determiner there--even though it sounds awkward without it.

• tsunami's nature (OK)

lauralie2

Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
China
Why "the subject"? I'd use "a" if I wanted "subject" as a noun ... .
While using "a" works, it means one of many:

Understanding the nature of tsunami is a subject of /just one of the many subjects of ongoing research (in that area).

Using the, on the other hand, tells us that understanding the nature of tsunami is the main subject of ongoing research. It's definitive, defined, and the reason for "the subject of".

birdeen's call

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
While using "a" works, it means one of many:

Understanding the nature of tsunami is a subject of /just one of the many subjects of ongoing research (in that area).

Using the, on the other hand, tells us that understanding the nature of tsunami is the main subject of ongoing research. It's definitive, defined, and the reason for "the subject of".
But isn't that nonsense to say that the nature of tsunami is the main subject of ongoing research? I mean, it could be right if the research was anyhow specified, as in Barb's example. But just "ongoing research"? It would mean to me all research in the world...

lauralie2

Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
China
But isn't that nonsense to say that the nature of tsunami is the main subject of ongoing research? I mean, it could be right if the research was anyhow specified, as in Barb's example. But just "ongoing research"? It would mean to me all research in the world...
It's the 'understanding' of that nature that is the subject of ongoing research.

I'm not sure I understand your question. Sorry.

birdeen's call

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
My question is this. You say we can use "the" in this sentence if we want to say that tsunami is the main subject of ongoing research. But I don't understand how tsunami can be the main subject of ongoing research. What's "ongoing research"? If tsunami is only the "main" subject of it, I understand it's more than just research on tsunamis. But then, I see no other bounds for the meaning of "ongoing research" so I suppose it's just all scientific research that is going on in the world. But it doesn't make any sense, so I don't know what to think about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.