• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Korean
      • Home Country:
      • South Korea
      • Current Location:
      • South Korea

Entitlement?

I’m glad we’ve had two generations of writers – women and men – documenting in exhaustive and honest detail the modern “parenting”(a word I’ve now grudgingly accepted) experience. I thought my generation of harried working mothers had it hard, but this current cohort of young parents takes its responsibilities – perfect children, perfect planet – so seriously it’s easy to see why they aren’t having much fun.

But the pendulum is beginning to swing back, as it always does, not only to hopefully more laissez-faire attitudes (skip the across-town cello lesson) but also to a gimlet-eyed view of kids as tiny tyrants who need to be put in their place. (Parents, altogether now, say it loud to your kids: “You’re NOT the boss of me!”)

Despite its occasional whiff of baffled entitlement (wondering why, say, that parenting isn’t as much fun as going out to dinner with friends), that New York piece eventually comes to the same conclusion that most of us have: raising kids is always hard work and yet at times it’s tremendously rewarding.
    What does entitlement mean in this context?

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Re: Entitlement?

It means that the people in question have an attitude like they are expecting to only have fun and good things in life, without having to work for them.

In this case, apparently, complaining that being a parent means you do have to give up some other things in life.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Laos

The term seems to be used quite a lot at the moment, in BrE at least, where people's expectancies are seen to be excessive, like when people think they have a right but no right exists, etc.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Korean
      • Home Country:
      • South Korea
      • Current Location:
      • South Korea

I've given a lot of thoughts and read this text many times to make a sense out of this particular phrase.

I guess 'entitlement' here is somewhat like 'responsibility / duty' that comes with parenting, and it's 'baffled' because it's not what people in question expected. Could 'baffled' have been 'baffling' instead?

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Japan

Quote Originally Posted by HaraKiriBlade View Post
    I've given a lot of thoughts and read this text many times to make a sense out of this particular phrase.

I guess 'entitlement' here is somewhat like 'responsibility / duty' that comes with parenting, and it's 'baffled' because it's not what people in question expected. Could 'baffled' have been 'baffling' instead?
    No I don't think it means "responsibility" or "duty" here.

"whiff" - suggestion of, small amount of
    "baffled" - confused
    "entitlement" - expectation of a reward (in this case, expectation of pleasure from raising children)

Together, it means that the author of the article she is talking about seemed confused that parenting was not as much fun as it "should" be, to a small degree. I put "should" in quotes, because that is where the sense of entitlement comes in.

ETA: You are doing pretty well if you can get your head around this article as a non-native speaker.