Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Hi,

It seems to be common in Algerian English to call strangers "Dear". I've noticed it also from Libyans and Egyptians.
I'd be interested in knowing what people think of this, and how they react to it.

My guess is that most native English speakers would find it annoying in writing, and plain embarassing if it happened in real life.

(I don't mean in a salutation, "Dear Sir", or as an adjective, "my dear friend" which are normal when used appropriately in English. I mean when it's used as "dear can you answer my question?" or "thank you for your answer dear" )

Thanks for your opinions dears :)

riquecohen

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
Brazil
Hi,

It seems to be common in Algerian English to call strangers "Dear". I've noticed it also from Libyans and Egyptians.
I'd be interested in knowing what people think of this, and how they react to it.

My guess is that most native English speakers would find it annoying in writing, and plain embarassing if it happened in real life.

(I don't mean in a salutation, "Dear Sir", or as an adjective, "my dear friend" which are normal when used appropriately in English. I mean when it's used as "dear can you answer my question?" or "thank you for your answer dear" )

Thanks for your opinions dears :)
I think that it depends on the source. If it came from another native speaker, I would find it very condescending. Here on the forum, however, I find it rather sweet. On the other hand, if learners are trying to use "proper" English, they should endeavor to use more standard forms. I wonder if dear might be a direct translation from an Arabic word that is commonly used in such situations. In Brazil it´s not at all unusual to be called querido (dear) by a stranger, though many people consider it quite rude.

Last edited:

chourouk

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Algeria
Current Location
Algeria
I'm from Algeria ... and your notice is really correct !
we often use the word (dear) in our speech ..
I want to say in most Arabic countries we use this word significantly in our conversation and public language!

Perhaps it is a translation of the word "عزيزي" which we use always in our daily lives ....
For example : When I speak with someone ,I tell him:"Thank you for your help dear", "I need your advice, dear" ect ... and rarely mention his/her name !

You can say 'Dear' means sir, or any other person you don't have a close relationship with him ..

It's just a style of speech !

birdeen's call

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
I think that it depends on the source. If it came from another native speaker, I would find it very condescending. Here on the forum, however, I find it rather sweet.
Me 2.

youandcorey

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
Japan
That's just so cool, Chourouk. Thanks for sharing!
c

I'm from Algeria ... and your notice is really correct !
we often use the word (dear) in our speech ..
I want to say in most Arabic countries we use this word significantly in our conversation and public language!

Perhaps it is a translation of the word "عزيزي" which we use always in our daily lives ....
For example : When I speak with someone ,I tell him:"Thank you for your help dear", "I need your advice, dear" ect ... and rarely mention his/her name !

You can say 'Dear' means sir, or any other person you don't have a close relationship with him ..

It's just a style of speech !

Tullia

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
I think that it depends on the source. If it came from another native speaker, I would find it very condescending. Here on the forum, however, I find it rather sweet.

I agree, I find the use of terms of endearment from native speakers who are total strangers very inappropriate.

On the forum or in a situation with a non-native speaker, where I know no offence is intended, I don't feel annoyed - but I also think I still find it slightly uncomfortable.

I also think it's not very good practice to ignore it - on this forum, at least, where many members are here to learn the standards of modern English usage.

Last edited:

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
In some dialects of BrE, such expressions as dear, my dear, love, pet, honey, etc were, until very recently, quite common among the (dare I say it?) lower classes. In these days of political correctness, the use of such expressions is being discouraged. Older men used to be able to address younger female colleagues as my dear. I suspect that if I were to do that these days I would cause offence, and probably be officially reprimanded.

Status
Not open for further replies.