• Native Language:
      • Russian
      • Home Country:
      • Ukraine
      • Current Location:
      • Ukraine

squeezing idioms into home assignment

Hello,
    Sometimes I ask my students to make up dialogues or stories, using idioms we study.
    Here is an overdue story of one of my students. I like this guy - he is clever, full of humour. However, he is stubbornly defiant of my request to hand in written assignments on time. What is your opinion about this story?

Story about innovations in the rally world

People like auto sport for many reasons. And one of the main is “weapon battle”. It means that in the highly competitive world of auto sport mind-braking innovations are common think. And rally is not exception.
    In the rally world turbo and 4wd are considered as biggest innovations. I can’t give a blow-by-blow account about these innovations but the main idea is that: rally cars with turbochargers and four wheel drive goes like a bomb. Turbocharger gives unlimited power and fantastic power to weight ratio, 4wd gives impressive handling and stability.
    The other side of this innovation is that going like a bomb rally car – isn’t the safest stuff on the Earth. Due to that some horrible crashes happened in the 80’s, mostly in the legendary Group B and rally was badmouthed by people who have always breathed down autosports neck. International Autosport Federation (FIA) who kept a careful watch on the situation introduced some restrictions ad hoc. In a nutshell, these restrictions increased a well-known turbo bottleneck – turbo lag. Engineers answered with a sophisticated “Anti-lag system” which most teams took on board (both in literal and figurative senses) as soon as possible.
    But the most important part of the story for us is that companies, producing all that high-tech stuff for racing cars doesn’t want to milk only racing teams so they used a brand-stretching and started producing it for the road cars! That is how the awesome Subaru Impreza WRX STI is built!

Thank you for your time and help!
    Last edited by vectra; 06-Oct-2010 at 19:33. Reason: Forgetfulness

2. Senior Member
    Interested in Language
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Serbo-Croatian
      • Home Country:
      • Bosnia Herzegovina
      • Current Location:
      • Bosnia Herzegovina

Re: squeezing idioms into home assignment

/A learner/

However, he is stubbornly defiant of my request to hand in written assignments on time.

Is it possible to say here "in time" as well?

In addition

The story's nice!

Please let me know whether I've found some grammar mistakes or made them.

Story about innovations in the rally world

People like auto sport for many reasons. And one of the main is “weapon battle”. It means that in the highly competitive world of auto sport mind-braking innovations are common think. And rally is not exception.
    In the rally world both the turbo charger and 4WD are considered as the biggest innovations. I can’t give a blow-by-blow account about these innovations but the main idea is that rally car(s) with turbocharger(s) and four wheel drive goes like a bomb. Turbocharger gives not only unlimited power but fantastic power-to-weight ratio and 4WD gives impressive handling and stability.
    The other side of this innovation is that going-like-a-bomb rally car isn’t the safest stuff on the Earth. Because of (Due to) that, some horrible crashes happened in the 80’s, mostly in the legendary Group B and rally was badmouthed by people who had always breathed down auto sport neck. International Auto sport Federation (FIA) who kept a careful watch on the situation introduced some ad hoc restrictions. In a nutshell, these restrictions increased a well-known (turbo bottleneck –) turbo lag. Engineers answered with a sophisticated “Anti-lag system” which most teams took on board (both in literal and figurative senses) as soon as possible.
    But the most important part of the story for us is that the companies producing all that high-tech stuff for racing cars doesn’t want to milk only racing teams so they used a brand-stretching and started to produce (producing) it for the road cars! That is how the awesome Subaru Impreza WRX STI is built!

Thank you for your time and help!

3. Banned
    Interested in Language
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Hungarian
      • Home Country:
      • Hungary
      • Current Location:
      • Hungary

Re: squeezing idioms into home assignment

Quote Originally Posted by e2e4 View Post
    /A learner/

However, he is stubbornly defiant of my request to hand in written assignments on time.

Is it possible to say here "in time" as well?
    Yes.

on time = neither late nor early
    in time = before the last moment