Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 22
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Ukrainian
      • Home Country:
      • Ukraine
      • Current Location:
      • Ukraine

    • Join Date: Sep 2010
    • Posts: 3,469
    #1

    backshifting sentences

    1)"He said that after he's read this book, he will give it to you."

    OR

    2)"He said that after he had read/read this book, he would give it to you."

    OR

    3)He said that having read this book, he will give it to you."
    Last edited by ostap77; 07-Oct-2010 at 09:15. Reason: put numbers

  1. Banned
    Interested in Language
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Hungarian
      • Home Country:
      • Hungary
      • Current Location:
      • Hungary

    • Join Date: Feb 2010
    • Posts: 1,121
    #2

    Re: backshifting sentences

    All are okay, different meanings.


    • Join Date: Jul 2010
    • Posts: 111
    #3

    Re: backshifting sentences

    Quote Originally Posted by ostap77 View Post
    "He said that after he's read this book, he will give it to you."

    OR

    "He said that after he had read/read this book, he would give it to you."

    OR

    He said that having read this book, he will give it to you."
    The first one does not look convincing.We can't use "....after he's read..." in a sentence which started in the past tense.

  2. Raymott's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia

    • Join Date: Jun 2008
    • Posts: 24,091
    #4

    Re: backshifting sentences

    Quote Originally Posted by shoaib 1 View Post
    The first one does not look convincing.We can't use "....after he's read..." in a sentence which started in the past tense.
    Yes we can.

  3. Raymott's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia

    • Join Date: Jun 2008
    • Posts: 24,091
    #5

    Re: backshifting sentences

    Quote Originally Posted by ostap77 View Post
    "He said that after he's read this book, he will give it to you."

    OR

    "He said that after he had read/read this book, he would give it to you."

    OR

    He said that having read this book, he will give it to you."
    My choice:
    "He said that when he's finished [reading] the book, he'll give it to you."

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Ukrainian
      • Home Country:
      • Ukraine
      • Current Location:
      • Ukraine

    • Join Date: Sep 2010
    • Posts: 3,469
    #6

    Re: backshifting sentences

    Quote Originally Posted by Raymott View Post
    My choice:
    "He said that when he's finished [reading] the book, he'll give it to you."
    3)He said that having read this book, he will give it to you."

    This one means that he's already read the book and he will give it to you.?

    1) and 2) menas the same the difference is the backshifting thing?

  4. Banned
    Interested in Language
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Hungarian
      • Home Country:
      • Hungary
      • Current Location:
      • Hungary

    • Join Date: Feb 2010
    • Posts: 1,121
    #7

    Re: backshifting sentences

    Quote Originally Posted by shoaib 1 View Post
    We can't use "....after he's read..." in a sentence which started in the past tense.
    You mean 'which started in the past tense'. With all due respect, what you say is utter nonsense. With you as an English teacher, teaching must be a case of the blind leading the blind, sorry. You mix time and tense, which is bad news for your students.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Ukrainian
      • Home Country:
      • Ukraine
      • Current Location:
      • Ukraine

    • Join Date: Sep 2010
    • Posts: 3,469
    #8

    Re: backshifting sentences

    Quote Originally Posted by corum View Post
    You mean 'which started in the past tense'. With all due respect, what you say is utter nonsense. With you as an English teacher, teaching must be a case of the blind leading the blind, sorry. You mix time and tense, which is bad news for your students.
    What about my explanation? Do I uderstand it correctly?

  5. Raymott's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia

    • Join Date: Jun 2008
    • Posts: 24,091
    #9

    Re: backshifting sentences

    Quote Originally Posted by ostap77 View Post
    What about my explanation? Do I uderstand it correctly?
    Yes, but you wouldn't use the third sentence in conversation.
    You might say:
    "He said that, since (as, because) he's finished reading the book, he'll give it to you." or maybe:
    "He said that, since (as, because) he'd finished reading the book, he'd give it to you." (had, would)

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Ukrainian
      • Home Country:
      • Ukraine
      • Current Location:
      • Ukraine

    • Join Date: Sep 2010
    • Posts: 3,469
    #10

    Re: backshifting sentences

    Quote Originally Posted by Raymott View Post
    Yes, but you wouldn't use the third sentence in conversation.
    You might say:
    "He said that, since (as, because) he's finished reading the book, he'll give it to you." or maybe:
    "He said that, since (as, because) he'd finished reading the book, he'd give it to you." (had, would)
    A bunch of thanks for your clarification!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. [Grammar] All, Both, Every with not in sentences.
    By terrenziqq in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 29-Mar-2010, 15:02
  2. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 30-Oct-2008, 00:25
  3. backshifting of tenses
    By chum in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 20-Jan-2007, 16:20
  4. Sentences
    By dean in forum Editing & Writing Topics
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-Aug-2006, 09:11
  5. What are loose sentences? Periodic sentences?
    By RonBee in forum General Language Discussions
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 01-Dec-2003, 01:13

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •