Native Language
Indonesian
Home Country
Indonesia
Current Location
Australia
This is what I found on UE's glossary webpage:
Noun as Adjective - Glossary Definition - UsingEnglish.com

However, I do not understand the meaning of the bold sentence below.

Please, could someone kindly explain what it means?

Thank you

We can use a noun as an adjective when it precedes a noun that it modifies; a mountain bike is a bike designed for riding up mountains. 'Mountain' functions as an adjective modifying the noun 'bike'. The second noun takes the plural form, while the first behaves like an adjective and consequently does not, unless the word is normally used in the plural (sports hall) or refers to people (women footballers).

Last edited:

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
It means that, like in the example given, "mountain" in "mountain bike" is a noun serving as an adjective.

The bolded sentence reminds that we do not make adjectives plural in English. So we say "mountain bikes" and not "mountains bikes."

RobertT

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Indonesian
Home Country
Indonesia
Current Location
Australia
It means that, like in the example given, "mountain" in "mountain bike" is a noun serving as an adjective.

The bolded sentence reminds that we do not make adjectives plural in English. So we say "mountain bikes" and not "mountains bikes."

Does the way it is explained seem natural to you?

To me, it is as weird as saying "you are a human and consequently you are not"... it cries out for an if-clause..

Btw, thank you for explaining.

philo2009

Member Type
Academic
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Does the way it is explained seem natural to you?

To me, it is as weird as saying "you are a human and consequently you are not"... it cries out for an if-clause..

Btw, thank you for explaining.

= The second noun takes the plural form, while the first behaves like an adjective and consequently does not take the plural form!

RobertT

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Indonesian
Home Country
Indonesia
Current Location
Australia
= The second noun takes the plural form, while the first behaves like an adjective and consequently does not take the plural form!

Thank you for clearing that up!

It fits but what grammar rule in that sentence implies that the action of "does" is "to not take the plural form" instead of "to not behave like an adjective"?

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
It's not any rule as much as it is a few clues from context and logic.

As you yourself pointed out, "behaves like an adjective and consequently does not" is contradictory unless the "does not" is referring to something else.

Since contradiction is probably not meant, it must mean something else.

Also, look at the structure "The second noun takes the plural form, while the first behaves like an adjective"

"While" indicates that something contrasting or opposite is being said. But being "plural" and being an "adjective" are not opposites. So the main object of the "while" must be something else. Mainly, "while the first ... does not."

philo2009

Member Type
Academic
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
As Dave has explained, it is entirely a matter of sense and context.

Of course, there could be real ambiguity at times, but that would be the fault of the writer!

Jaskin

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
UK
Hi,
Please note I'm not a teacher nor a native speaker;
As Dave has explained, it is entirely a matter of sense and context.

Of course, there could be real ambiguity at times, but that would be the fault of the writer!
... and if I'm not mistaken it's called ellipsis - leaving out words to avoid repetition.

Cheers

Pedroski

Member Type
Other
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
China
The second noun takes the plural form, while the first behaves like an adjective and consequently does not, unless the word is normally used in the plural (sports hall) or refers to people (women footballers).

This 'explanation' says: the first noun in a compound noun is not pluralized, unless it is pluralized. This is not a good explanation, since we can also say 'sport hall' and 'woman footaller'.

Think of another, more explanatory explanation!

philo2009

Member Type
Academic
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Hi,
Please note I'm not a teacher nor a native speaker;

... and if I'm not mistaken it's called ellipsis - leaving out words to avoid repetition.

Cheers

You are not, and it is!

Status
Not open for further replies.