Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Amharic
Home Country
Ethiopia
Current Location
United States
This writing is practice for remembering event essay for my selfstudy. This is not homework. I just want to teach myself by my own and of course you guys are very supportive. Thank you for your willing to help peoples like me.

On June 30, 2008 my thinking of life, changed a little bit. It was a Monday morning, the day I forgot that have to wake up so early in the morning so I can go to work. I got under the cover of my bed and I was out like a light. Usually, once I got into a very deep sleep it was hard to get out of it. I heard my alarm go off, and I didn’t want to get up, but I got up and get dressed. I went out in the kitchen and get something to eat and then packed my lunch for the day.

On the way to Boston University Research Lab, I was getting very intense. I started to get nervous about what I would be doing and whom I would be working with. The closer I get to the laboratory the more nervous I got. Once I pulled my car into the parking lot and was shutting my car off, I realized that wasn’t a place I would be like to work at all of myself.

I got assigned to work for Dr. Solomon lab, located in Boston, Massachusetts near Boston Medical Center that focus on research about inflammatory process. This Principal investigator needed help getting the research to be productivity. He assigned me to work with Suzan, a research assistance who has been there more than 3 years.

I met with Suzan a couple of hours later during my first day working in this lab. Suzan taking care of me like employee who has been notified what he or she going to do. She gave me bunch of lab protocols and told me to red over and studies them. I took some time to read those papers. After I learned that the protocols were easy to follow it except, the one that titled “how to working with and handling mice.”

When I thought about the mice aver and over, I got scared and sweated all over my body. My face got really pale and my hands started shaking. I didn’t know what I have to do next.

At 12:00 P.M. I took my first break. I wasn’t happy to because I didn’t expect that I would be working with or this research-involved mouse. However, I should have told how I was going to perform the project.

After the 1-hour break was over, I walked back to the lab and then to my boss’s office to let him know that I didn’t have any experience working with any animals. Dr. Solomon patiently explained to me that working with rodent would be easy. The brilliant thing about Dr. Solomon was that his planning is meticulous. Whenever I saw a problem, Dr. was always able to show me the solution.

Thankfully, This job was my first job right after graduation and it would be difficult to refused the job or disagreed. I was secretly terrified of mice but how could I admit this to such a boss? My phobia would be seen as a sign of weakness and it would be far too shameful to admit to this.

After our conversation, I recalled what my biology professor said, “ Animals that have been used as model systems include mice, rates, chicken and goats. Animals are good models for human because there are no basic differences between their physiology and human physiology. They all control their internal functions in about the same way and respond similarly to infection and injuries” and a good inspiration comes to me.

At that point, I must say, that was the day my thinking on life changed. One of the things that might turn a person off about a mouse is the idea that they can bit, and yes they have extremely sharp, pointed teeth, but never, not once did mice ever bit me.

Last edited:

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
On June 30, 2008 my thinking about life changed a little bit. It was a Monday morning, the day I forgot to wake up early in the morning to go to work. I got under the cover of my bed and was out like a light. Usually, once I got into a very deep sleep it was hard to get out of it. I heard my alarm go off, and I didn’t want to get up, but I did get up and got dressed. I went out into the kitchen for something to eat and then packed my lunch for the day.

On the way to Boston University Research Lab, I was feeling very intense. I started to get nervous about what I would be doing and whom I would be working with. The closer I got to the laboratory the more nervous I became. Once I pulled my car into the parking lot and was switching the engine off, I realized that wasn’t a place I would like to work at by myself.

I was assigned to work for Dr. Solomon lab, located in Boston, Massachusetts near Boston Medical Center, which focuses on research about the inflammatory process. The principal investigator needed help getting the research into productivity. He assigned me to work with Suzan, a research assistance who has been there more than three years.

I met Suzan a couple of hours later during my first day working in the lab. She took care of me like an employee who had been told what she had to do. She gave me a bunch of lab protocols and told me to read over and study them. I took some time to read those papers. Later I learned that the protocols were easy to follow - except the one titled “how to work with and handle mice.”

(More tomorrow. It's a bit long and I'm going to bed.)

Rover

Tes

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Amharic
Home Country
Ethiopia
Current Location
United States
Thank you for help. Have a nice sleep! Please continue to correct my essay when you get a chance. Thank you again.

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
When I thought about the mice over and over, I got scared and sweated all over my body. My face got really pale and my hands started shaking. I didn’t know what I would have to do next.

At 12:00 P.M. I took my first break. I wasn’t happy to because I didn’t expect that I would be working with or this research-involved mouse. However, I should have been told how I was going to perform the project.

After the one-hour break was over, I walked back to the lab and then to my boss’s office to let him know that I didn’t have any experience of working with animals. Dr. Solomon patiently explained to me that working with rodents would be easy. The brilliant thing about Dr. Solomon was that his planning was meticulous. Whenever I saw a problem, the doctor was always able to show me the solution.

Thankfully, this job was my first right after graduation and it would be difficult to refuse it. I was secretly terrified of mice but how could I admit this to such a boss? My phobia would be seen as a sign of weakness and it would be far too shameful to admit to this.

After our conversation, I recalled what my biology professor said, “Animals that have been used as model systems include mice, rats, chickens and goats. Animals are good models for humans because there are no basic differences between their physiology and human physiology. They all control their internal functions in about the same way and respond similarly to infection and injuries” and a good inspiration comes to me.

At that point, I must say, that was the day my thinking on life changed. One of the things that might turn a person off about a mouse is the idea that they can bite, and yes - they have extremely sharp, pointed teeth, but never, not once did mice ever bite me.

Status
Not open for further replies.