Results 1 to 8 of 8
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Ukrainian
      • Home Country:
      • Ukraine
      • Current Location:
      • Ukraine

    • Join Date: Sep 2010
    • Posts: 3,469
    #1

    a long ivolved

    How would you explaine the meaning of " a long involved dream"?

  1. Munch's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Japan

    • Join Date: Aug 2010
    • Posts: 479
    #2

    Re: a long ivolved

    Quote Originally Posted by ostap77 View Post
    How would you explaine the meaning of " a long involved dream"?
    long = it lasted for a long time.

    involved = complex, many things happened.

    This phrase is often used as, "a long, involved process"

    For example:

    "Learning English is a long, involved process."
    "Growing crystals is a long, involved process."

    So, one of those dreams where you start off on the moon, competing in a cheeseburger eating completion with your old postman, then a half bird / half walrus climbs out of the ground and starts talking like a basketball coach and you realize you have to get back to Earth to... etc.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Ukrainian
      • Home Country:
      • Ukraine
      • Current Location:
      • Ukraine

    • Join Date: Sep 2010
    • Posts: 3,469
    #3

    Re: a long ivolved

    Quote Originally Posted by Munch View Post
    long = it lasted for a long time.

    involved = complex, many things happened.

    This phrase is often used as, "a long, involved process"

    For example:

    "Learning English is a long, involved process."
    "Growing crystals is a long, involved process."

    So, one of those dreams where you start off on the moon, competing in a cheeseburger eating completion with your old postman, then a half bird / half walrus climbs out of the ground and starts talking like a basketball coach and you realize you have to get back to Earth to... etc.
    Could it mean that there were private things in this kind of a dream?

  2. Munch's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Japan

    • Join Date: Aug 2010
    • Posts: 479
    #4

    Re: a long ivolved

    Quote Originally Posted by ostap77 View Post
    Could it mean that there were private things in this kind of a dream?
    It does not suggest that. But it does not mean there were no private things. No information either way.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • England

    • Join Date: Jun 2010
    • Posts: 24,500
    #5

    Re: a long ivolved

    I just want to emphasise that long and involved need to be separated by a comma in this case (as Munch did, of course).

    Rover

  3. Munch's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Japan

    • Join Date: Aug 2010
    • Posts: 479
    #6

    Re: a long ivolved

    Quote Originally Posted by Rover_KE View Post
    I just want to emphasise that long and involved need to be separated by a comma in this case (as Munch did, of course).

    Rover
    Yes, thanks Rover. Otherwise it suggests that "long" is modifying "involved" which is not the case.

  4. riquecohen's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • Brazil

    • Join Date: Aug 2010
    • Posts: 6,002
    #7

    Re: a long ivolved

    Quote Originally Posted by ostap77 View Post
    Could it mean that there were private things in this kind of a dream?
    Dreams always contain "private things."

  5. Munch's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Japan

    • Join Date: Aug 2010
    • Posts: 479
    #8

    Re: a long ivolved

    Quote Originally Posted by riquecohen View Post
    Dreams always contain "private things."
    it's getting steamy in here!

Similar Threads

  1. as long as/so long as/provided (that)/providing (that)
    By ha179 in forum General Language Discussions
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 26-Nov-2009, 03:37
  2. how long before/how long early
    By Dr.Appalayya in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 21-Sep-2009, 11:45
  3. three meters long? tree-meter long? three-meter-long?
    By japanjapan in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 07-Jun-2006, 21:28

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •