Results 1 to 8 of 8
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Ukrainian
      • Home Country:
      • Ukraine
      • Current Location:
      • Ukraine

    • Join Date: Sep 2010
    • Posts: 3,469
    #1

    The last thing to do

    "The last thing I wanted to do was to insult somebody, but you"

    Is it Ok to say that she was the last person you might have possibly insulted?
    Does this sentence make sense?
    Last edited by ostap77; 08-Oct-2010 at 13:32.

  1. riquecohen's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • Brazil

    • Join Date: Aug 2010
    • Posts: 6,002
    #2

    Re: The last thing to do

    Quote Originally Posted by ostap77 View Post
    "The last thing I wanted to do was to insult somebody, but you"

    Is it Ok to say that she was the last person you might have possibly insulted?
    Does this sentence make sense? No
    "The last thing I wanted to do was to insult you."

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Ukrainian
      • Home Country:
      • Ukraine
      • Current Location:
      • Ukraine

    • Join Date: Sep 2010
    • Posts: 3,469
    #3

    Re: The last thing to do

    Quote Originally Posted by riquecohen View Post
    "The last thing I wanted to do was to insult you."
    How about this

    "The last thing I wanted was to insult anyone, but you."
    Last edited by ostap77; 08-Oct-2010 at 13:39.


    • Join Date: Feb 2010
    • Posts: 66
    #4

    Re: The last thing to do

    Quote Originally Posted by ostap77 View Post
    "The last thing I wanted to do was to insult somebody, but you"

    Is it Ok to say that she was the last person you might have possibly insulted?
    Does this sentence make sence?
    Not a teacher

    The phrase "The last thing I wanted to do was ..... but" is used to imply that what you are doing is not your usual behaviour however the person you are talking to is forcing your hand.

    Eg. I am not usually an angry person however if someone was pushing me I might say "The last thing I wanted to do was yell at you, but you leave me no choice".

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Ukrainian
      • Home Country:
      • Ukraine
      • Current Location:
      • Ukraine

    • Join Date: Sep 2010
    • Posts: 3,469
    #5

    Re: The last thing to do

    Quote Originally Posted by jeckel View Post
    Not a teacher

    The phrase "The last thing I wanted to do was ..... but" is used to imply that what you are doing is not your usual behaviour however the person you are talking to is forcing your hand.

    Eg. I am not usually an angry person however if someone was pushing me I might say "The last thing I wanted to do was yell at you, but you leave me no choice".
    Does the sentense in my previous post make sense?


    • Join Date: Feb 2010
    • Posts: 66
    #6

    Re: The last thing to do

    Quote Originally Posted by ostap77 View Post
    How about this

    "The last thing I wanted to was to insult anyone, but you."
    Not a teacher.

    Yes however I would exchange "but" with "except". Also, the first "to" in the sentence needs to be removed.

    "The last thing I wanted was to insult anyone, except you."

    This sentence implies that you would not like to insult anyone except the person you are talking to.
    Last edited by jeckel; 08-Oct-2010 at 13:38. Reason: added "Not a teacher."

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Ukrainian
      • Home Country:
      • Ukraine
      • Current Location:
      • Ukraine

    • Join Date: Sep 2010
    • Posts: 3,469
    #7

    Re: The last thing to do

    Quote Originally Posted by jeckel View Post
    Not a teacher.

    Yes however I would exchange "but" with "except". Also, the first "to" in the sentence needs to be removed.

    "The last thing I wanted was to insult anyone, except you."

    This sentence implies that you would not like to insult anyone except the person you are talking to.
    How about "to do"?


    • Join Date: Feb 2010
    • Posts: 66
    #8

    Re: The last thing to do

    Quote Originally Posted by ostap77 View Post
    How about "to do"?


    Not a teacher.


    Yes but the second "to" in the sentence needs to be removed, giving:

    "The last thing I wanted to do was insult anyone, except you."

Similar Threads

  1. A Thing vs One Thing
    By Volcano1985 in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 16-Jul-2009, 18:05
  2. if it was the last thing he did
    By unepomme in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-Feb-2009, 06:25
  3. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-Jan-2009, 13:55
  4. a thing or two
    By redgiant in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 01-Nov-2008, 04:09
  5. I like to do my own thing
    By Unregistered in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-Oct-2007, 17:44

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •