Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Bengali; Bangla
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
I'm always very confused :roll: with the usage of 'of' and 'for', every now and then, here and there, these two prepositions put me in trouble... this time it is with the word 'criteria'... should I use 'criteria of' or will it be 'criteria for'? and if both are applicable, where and how should they be used? even on the internet and at several other places, I have seen both being used, this adds more confusion to my already confused state...:roll:

lauralie2

Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
China
I'm always very confused :roll: with the usage of 'of' and 'for', every now and then, here and there, these two prepositions put me in trouble... this time it is with the word 'criteria'... should I use 'criteria of' or will it be 'criteria for'? and if both are applicable, where and how should they be used? even on the internet and at several other places, I have seen both being used, this adds more confusion to my already confused state...:roll:
Yes, it's confusing!

criteria of means set of requirements
criteria for means criteria required

'A password can meet most of the criteria [or set of requirements] of a strong password but still be rather weak. For example, Hello2U! is a relatively weak password even though it meets most of the criteria [required] for a strong password... .' (passage from http://technet.microsoft.com)

jeckel

Member Type
Academic

Not a teacher.

The selection criteria of this position.
=
This position’s selection criteria.

The selection criteria for this position.
=

Giving this position selection criteria.

These criteria of success.
=
Success’ criteria

These criteria for success.
=
Giving success criteria.

Cup of tea.
=
A cup containing tea.

Cup for tea
=
Giving tea a cup.
Or
A tea cup :)

Example:

David, please create an assignment criteria for this English assignment.

Class, please study the criteria of this English assignment very carefully.

If a teacher could please advise if I am correct in my understanding that would be great.

Status
Not open for further replies.