Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: without any

  1. Member
    Student or Learner
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • Australia

    • Join Date: Apr 2010
    • Posts: 425
    #1

    Lightbulb without any

    Q: Does this engine use petrol?
    B1: This engine uses petrol.
    B2: This engine doesn't use petrol.

    Q: Did you buy eggs?
    D1: I bought eggs.
    D2: I did not buy eggs.


    Will you accept these questions & answers without "any" in them because the interest is not in the quantities?

    Thank you.

  2. Munch's Avatar
    Member
    English Teacher
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Japan

    • Join Date: Aug 2010
    • Posts: 479
    #2

    Re: without any

    Quote Originally Posted by panicmonger View Post
    Q: Does this engine use petrol?
    B1: This engine uses petrol.
    B2: This engine doesn't use petrol.

    Q: Did you buy eggs?
    D1: I bought eggs.
    D2: I did not buy eggs.


    Will you accept these questions & answers without "any" in them because the interest is not in the quantities?

    Thank you.
    No, I don't think that is why they are ok without "any". The first example would sound strange with "any". The second would sound almost the same. Something else is going on here.

  3. VIP Member
    Other
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Dec 2009
    • Posts: 6,353
    #3

    Re: without any

    Quote Originally Posted by panicmonger View Post
    Q: Does this engine use petrol?
    B1: This engine uses petrol.
    B2: This engine doesn't use petrol.

    Q: Did you buy eggs?
    D1: I bought eggs.
    D2: I did not buy eggs.


    Will you accept these questions & answers without "any" in them because the interest is not in the quantities?

    Thank you.
    ***** NOT A TEACHER *****

    Mr. Michael Swan, author of the very popular Practical English Usage

    agrees with you:

    This engine doesn't use petrol. =

    The interest is in the type of fuel, not the amount.

  4. Senior Member
    Interested in Language
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Serbo-Croatian
      • Home Country:
      • Bosnia Herzegovina
      • Current Location:
      • Bosnia Herzegovina

    • Join Date: Nov 2007
    • Posts: 844
    #4

    Re: without any

    /A learner/

    Quote Originally Posted by TheParser View Post
    ***** NOT A TEACHER *****

    Mr. Michael Swan, author of the very popular Practical English Usage

    agrees with you:

    This engine doesn't use petrol. =

    The interest is in the type of fuel, not the amount.
    I agree to M.Swan this time.

  5. Member
    Student or Learner
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • Australia

    • Join Date: Apr 2010
    • Posts: 425
    #5

    Re: without any

    Thank you all.

    Do you also accept both of these?

    1. I do not have children.
    2. I do not have friends.

    Without "some" or "any" before the plurals, will you feel a bit unnatural or weird with them?

    Thanks a lot.
    I appreciate your help.

  6. bhaisahab's Avatar
    Moderator
    Retired English Teacher
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Ireland

    • Join Date: Apr 2008
    • Posts: 26,076
    #6

    Re: without any

    Quote Originally Posted by panicmonger View Post
    Thank you all.

    Do you also accept both of these?

    1. I do not have children.
    2. I do not have friends.

    Without "some" or "any" before the plurals, will you feel a bit unnatural or weird with them?

    Thanks a lot.
    I appreciate your help.
    They are both fine.

  7. VIP Member
    Other
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Dec 2009
    • Posts: 6,353
    #7

    Re: without any

    Quote Originally Posted by panicmonger View Post
    Thank you all.

    Do you also accept both of these?

    1. I do not have children.
    2. I do not have friends.

    Without "some" or "any" before the plurals, will you feel a bit unnatural or weird with them?

    Thanks a lot.
    I appreciate your help.

    ***** NOT A TEACHER *****

    (1) This is a family-oriented website, so I must be careful in how

    I explain the following:

    If I remember correctly, there was once a very famous

    author who had "sentimental relationships" only with his own

    gender. I believe that he once said something like:

    I do not have friends, only lovers.

    Like the petrol example, I guess that we can say that "friends"

    and "lovers" refer to the type of acquaintances that he had.

    ***

    Regarding your "children" example, I can well imagine a tired and

    exasperated mother screaming:

    I do not have children. I have monsters!

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •