Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
Can we use "kill" to say drink up beer or any other alcoholic beverage?

" Guys! if you are going to be drinking like that, you are going to kill all beer at the party."

ostap77

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
No that doesn't work for me. There is a saying that is sometimes used after someone has finished a bottle of beer or some other drink, "Well, there's another dead solider."

What is solider?

Ouisch

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
"Kill" is sometimes used in AmE in terms of drinking alcohol.... For example, two people may be the last ones sitting at the table after a night of partying. They're both tired and ready to leave, but there is still half a bottle of wine left sitting on the table. "I've had it," the first guy might say. "I'm going to go home and crash." "I hear you, bro, but let's kill off the rest of this bottle first, OK?" replies the second guy.

Another example: a college student slowly awakes one afternoon with a raging hangover. His roommate observes: "Dude, you look like crap. What did you do last night?" Hangover Guy answers with a groan: "I was at a party...and - I don't know why - but no one else showed up. So Brian, Roger and I killed off a whole keg ourselves." :drinking:

ostap77

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
"Kill" is sometimes used in AmE in terms of drinking alcohol.... For example, two people may be the last ones sitting at the table after a night of partying. They're both tired and ready to leave, but there is still half a bottle of wine left sitting on the table. "I've had it," the first guy might say. "I'm going to go home and crash." "I hear you, bro, but let's kill off the rest of this bottle first, OK?" replies the second guy.

Another example: a college student slowly awakes one afternoon with a raging hangover. His roommate observes: "Dude, you look like crap. What did you do last night?" Hangover Guy answers with a groan: "I was at a party...and - I don't know why - but no one else showed up. So Brian, Roger and I killed off a whole keg ourselves." :drinking:

So it would sound unnaturally the way I used it?

Ouisch

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Yes. :-|

Ouisch

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
What if I said " kill a whole keg of beer" instead of "all beer"?

Depending upon the context, it would be correct in colloquial English.

Status
Not open for further replies.