Student or Learner
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
I heard when watching a movie.

"He's been with the Irish mob for seventeen years. Never nickeled and dimed it. Always big operations." I looked it up in a dictionary and it only gives a defenition as an adjective not a verb. What would nickel and dime something mean?

Last edited:

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
In this case, I guess it means doing things involving small amounts of money.

The way I'm used to seeing it as a verb is something like "Don't nickel and dime me" or "I'm being nickeled and dimed to death" to mean that there are a ton of tiny little charges instead of one big charge. For example, you rent a room for a party, but then you get a charge for table cloths and a set up fee and another charge for having the wait staff work on a Sunday, etc.

ostap77

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
In this case, I guess it means doing things involving small amounts of money.

The way I'm used to seeing it as a verb is something like "Don't nickel and dime me" or "I'm being nickeled and dimed to death" to mean that there are a ton of tiny little charges instead of one big charge. For example, you rent a room for a party, but then you get a charge for table cloths and a set up fee and another charge for having the wait staff work on a Sunday, etc.

Can I use it in the following context?

" Ann is always nickeling and dimeing me." meaning that I'd like to go out with her but she doesn't take me seriously. She treats me like "loose change"

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I've never heard it used in any context that doesn't involve money.

Status
Not open for further replies.