Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Dear teachers,

I have two questions to ask:

No.1
This thing is extremely boring. It's getting on my nerves. Let's get it _____ and done with.
a. over b. through
The key is "a". However, in Cambridge dictionary I found the following:
get through sth.
to finish something that you are doing
I get through a lot more work when I'm on my own.
Could you please explain if "b" is also correct?

No.2
An auction host provides the Web space and individuals "rent" a _____ of that space.
a. piece b. slice
The key is "a". But I can find "a slice of space" in my dictionary. Could you please kindly explain why "b" isn't correct in this sentence?

Looking forward to hearing from you.
Thank you in advance.

Jiang

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
Dear teachers,

I have two questions to ask:

No.1
This thing is extremely boring. It's getting on my nerves. Let's get it _____ and done with.
a. over b. through
The key is "a". However, in Cambridge dictionary I found the following:
get through sth.
to finish something that you are doing
I get through a lot more work when I'm on my own.
Could you please explain if "b" is also correct?

No.2
An auction host provides the Web space and individuals "rent" a _____ of that space.
a. piece b. slice
The key is "a". But I can find "a slice of space" in my dictionary. Could you please kindly explain why "b" isn't correct in this sentence?

Looking forward to hearing from you.
Thank you in advance.

Jiang
Yes, you can "get through" something, but to "get something over and done with" is a set phrase. "Slice" doesn't work at all, of the two "piece" is correct but I would say, "individuals rent some of that space".

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
:up:. Also, even without the 'and done with', you couldn't use the phrasal verb 'to get through' in this context - 'get through it', maybe, but not 'get it through'.

('We'll get through it' is more likely to be used in a context where 'it' is a difficult situation: 'The next year is going to be a hard one for us, but we'll get through it'.)

The expression 'get it through' is only possible when 'get through' is not a phrasl verb, but a prepositional verb: 'The package was so bulky that the postman couldn't get it through the letterbox'.

b

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
PS I've never met 'slice of space', but maybe someone has used it - possibly in a context where the space in question was in some sense circular - as in 'a slice of pie/cake/tart'. Units of space are called various things, but...

b

Status
Not open for further replies.