Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Australia
Is there any colloquial name for a really strong coffee? In Polish you'd say "siekiera" (axe). I'm wondering how English speaking people phrase that? :)

nyota

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Australia
So strong it can get up and walk away? It triggers my imagination :lol:. Perhaps descriptions work even better? I'd love to read more of these!

Ouisch

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
In AmE, "strong coffee" usually is a sufficient description. However, I do recall many years ago when I was young and not a coffee drinker a manager at my office asked me if I'd mind making him a cup of coffee (he had mobility issues and it was very difficult for him to serve himself). Having never used a coffee maker before, I didn't know the scoop-to-water ratio, and I'd apparently used too much coffee with too little water. His comment after the first sip: "Wow, that's cowboy coffee!" :)

Munch

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Japan
So strong it can get up and walk away? It triggers my imagination :lol:. Perhaps descriptions work even better? I'd love to read more of these!

It'll put hairs on your chest / strong enough to put hairs on your chest / etc.

If something "will put hairs on your chest" it usually means it is tough or macho.

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England

Munch

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Japan
Espresso.

Just to help learners, I think Rover is making a joke about English coffee. Espresso is not necessarily strong, but will seem strong to some people.

Different countries make coffee in different ways and use different words to describe coffee making. Espresso is an Italian word - now it is used to describe a common way to make coffee in many countries these days - this method makes a concentrated, very flavorful cup of coffee.

nyota

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Australia
Speaking of which, back when I just started drinking coffee, somebody offered espresso to me. I had no idea what it was but, god knows why, I thought it'd be best to act like all I drank was espresso, so I said, 'sure, bring it on, and make it double please!' and I remember it to this day - even though I'm not a man I could swear it put hair on my chest...and everywhere else for that matter. ;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.