1. Newbie
    Student or Learner

• Post Thanks / Like

What does "getting the plates" mean?

Hi, nice to meet you. English is my second one so I have lots of things to ask but today I'm gonna ask just one not to harass teachers. :D

So to speak, it was yesterday and i watched Mentalist, a famous TV show, and there were conversations between two detectives. ONe of them said "getting the plates" and i found it over and over again on web, but i couldn't.

what does that mean? can you let me know?

Thanks, Wish you guys have a great day.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

• Post Thanks / Like

Re: What does "getting the plates" mean?

First of all, welcome to the Forum! And please never worry about asking too many questions or "harrassing" the teachers; we're here to help and you won't learn unless you ask!

Regarding "getting the plates".....without more context I'm only guessing, but since The Mentalist is about a psychic who works as a private detective aiding the police department, I'm presuming he is referring to license plates on a vehicle. In law enforcement it is common to ask "did you get the plates?" meaning "Did you note the license plate number?" or "Can you describe the license plates?" (in the US every state has a different, unique license plate design, so if the Mentalist can't recall the actual license plate number but does see that the plate had a picture of an orange on it, then the police would know that the vehicle was registered in Florida.)