Other
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Hi,
Could anyone please tell me the difference between the two? Could they be used instead of each other?

Once I read by "Differentiating" we mention what the exact differences between two ideas are, while by "Distinguishing" we focus on the features of ONE of those two ideas. I'm not sure about this at all, and I hope somebody shed light on this. Ta!

lauralie2

Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
China
Hi Mehrgan

Distinguish means unique, whereas differentiate means difference.

Ex: I can't tell the difference between the twins. They look exactly alike. Neither has a distinguishing mark that tells them apart.

• distinguish refers to a unique characteristic, usually perceived with the senses.
    • differentiate
      • list the characteristics that make them different
    • distinguish
      • list the characteristics that make them unique

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Hi,
Could anyone please tell me the difference between the two? Could they be used instead of each other?

Once I read by "Differentiating" we mention what the exact differences between two ideas are, while by "Distinguishing" we focus on the features of ONE of those two ideas. I'm not sure about this at all, and I hope somebody shed light on this. Ta!
In their most common meaning, they mean the same - being able to tell the difference between one thing and another, as well being able to explain how you do this.
You can also use "discriminate".
"How can you differentiate/distinguish/discriminate between these two stars using a small telescope? - A is slightly redder than B."
"Can you differentiate/distinguish/discriminate between these two wines just by smelling them?
"Discriminate" is used less commonly this way now that it's come to be used pejoratively (meaning 'treat badly based on having discriminated'), but it's still used in science with the original meaning.

Status
Not open for further replies.