Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 16
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Ukrainian
      • Home Country:
      • Ukraine
      • Current Location:
      • Ukraine

    • Join Date: Sep 2010
    • Posts: 3,469
    #1

    turn up vs show up

    "A receptionist never turned up for work."

    OR

    Can we say?

    "A receptionist never showed up for work."

  1. lauralie2's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • China

    • Join Date: Dec 2009
    • Posts: 774
    #2

    Re: turn up vs show up

    Quote Originally Posted by ostap77 View Post
    "A receptionist never turned up for work."

    OR

    Can we say?

    "A receptionist never showed up for work."
    Both are OK. By the way, 'the receptionist' works better than 'a receptionist' because it was a specific person who didn't turn/show up.

  2. philadelphia's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • French
      • Home Country:
      • France
      • Current Location:
      • France

    • Join Date: Apr 2008
    • Posts: 838
    #3

    Re: turn up vs show up

    Not a teacher

    "The receptionist has never showed/turned up for work". Just saying.

  3. bhaisahab's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Ireland

    • Join Date: Apr 2008
    • Posts: 25,629
    #4

    Re: turn up vs show up

    Quote Originally Posted by lauralie2 View Post
    Both are OK. By the way, 'the receptionist' works better than 'a receptionist' because it was a specific person who didn't turn/show up.
    "A receptionist never showed up for work."
    You mean that the receptionist didn't come to work until the end of time?!

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Ukrainian
      • Home Country:
      • Ukraine
      • Current Location:
      • Ukraine

    • Join Date: Sep 2010
    • Posts: 3,469
    #5

    Re: turn up vs show up

    Quote Originally Posted by bhaisahab View Post
    "A receptionist never showed up for work."
    You mean that the receptionist didn't come to work until the end of time?!
    Yes. Any difference with show up?

  4. lauralie2's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • China

    • Join Date: Dec 2009
    • Posts: 774
    #6

    Re: turn up vs show up

    Quote Originally Posted by bhaisahab View Post
    "A receptionist never showed up for work."
    You mean that the receptionist didn't come to work until the end of time?!
    I don't understand your question, nor your use of '!?'. Please explain.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Ukrainian
      • Home Country:
      • Ukraine
      • Current Location:
      • Ukraine

    • Join Date: Sep 2010
    • Posts: 3,469
    #7

    Re: turn up vs show up

    Quote Originally Posted by lauralie2 View Post
    I don't understand your question, nor your use of '!?'. Please explain.
    Would you prefer saying "turn up for work" to "show up for work"?

  5. lauralie2's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • China

    • Join Date: Dec 2009
    • Posts: 774
    #8

    Re: turn up vs show up

    Quote Originally Posted by ostap77 View Post
    Would you prefer saying "turn up for work" to "show up for work"?
    Both are perfectly acceptable English to me.

  6. bhaisahab's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Ireland

    • Join Date: Apr 2008
    • Posts: 25,629
    #9

    Re: turn up vs show up

    Quote Originally Posted by lauralie2 View Post
    I don't understand your question, nor your use of '!?'. Please explain.
    "The receptionist never showed up" is incorrect English. Perhaps the receptionist "didn't show up" that day, if you say "never" it suggests from the beginning to the end of time itself.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Ukrainian
      • Home Country:
      • Ukraine
      • Current Location:
      • Ukraine

    • Join Date: Sep 2010
    • Posts: 3,469
    #10

    Re: turn up vs show up

    Quote Originally Posted by bhaisahab View Post
    "The receptionist never showed up" is incorrect English. Perhaps the receptionist "didn't show up" that day, if you say "never" it suggests from the beginning to the end of time itself.
    Perhaps sometimes in speech we might well say things like " she nevr came" instead of "she didn't come''?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. show-off
    By mmasny in forum Pronunciation and Phonetics
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 22-Feb-2010, 18:07
  2. That is nothing but show.
    By flytothesky in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 13-Feb-2009, 07:09
  3. turn in &turn down
    By Grace-Ellen in forum English Phrasal Verbs
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 03-Oct-2008, 03:00
  4. an act to show off/ a chance to show off
    By joham in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-May-2008, 10:32

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •