• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Turkish
      • Home Country:
      • Turkey
      • Current Location:
      • Turkey

before you

Lara nodded, and I think I saw a flicker of relief in her face. She scribbled something on a long piece of parch¬ment in front of her. She didn’t even look up as she said, “Mr. Cross, since you admit to the charges before you, we shall now pronounce your sentence.”

“It is the ruling of this Council that you shall be taken onto the grounds of Thorne Abbey tomorrow at dawn and executed.”

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia

Re: before you

Quote Originally Posted by Leandro-Z View Post
    It means all the crimes that he/she has commited throughout his/her life
    It does not! It means only those charges that the court is considering at that time. His previous crimes are not "before the court", or, if they are, they aren't 'charges'.
    (Sorry, but I've just read 5 consecutive posts of yours, and they're all wrong. Perhaps if you're just guessing, you could let the poster know that.)

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Laos

Re: before you

Quote Originally Posted by Tinkerbell View Post
    Lara nodded, and I think I saw a flicker of relief in her face. She scribbled something on a long piece of parch¬ment in front of her. She didn’t even look up as she said, “Mr. Cross, since you admit to the charges before you, we shall now pronounce your sentence.”

“It is the ruling of this Council that you shall be taken onto the grounds of Thorne Abbey tomorrow at dawn and executed.”
    Raymott is right- it refers to the charges that the court is dealing with at that time.