• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • Switzerland

As

"Ersan Ilyasova and Carlos Delfino will play important roles for the Bucks, as both players had a good showing at the 2010 FIBA World Championship."

"As" is used in the sense of "because" in the above sentence, I presume. The sentence doesn't make much sense, though: having a good showing at the Worlds doesn't necessarily mean you're going to play an important role on the professional team you play for. I don't think the writer was being very careful. Would you agree with my interpretation?

Thanks.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

Re: As

No, although I agree that the writer was being careless. You might say '"As" is the wrong word, there's no causal meaning involved'. I think there is a causal meaning involved, and that the badly-chosen words are 'will play'; this would make much better sense:

"Ersan Ilyasova and Carlos Delfino were picked for Bucks, as both players had a good showing at the 2010 FIBA World Championship. They will play an ...etc" (more words, and an extra sentence - the wish to economize here made the writer overload the "as".) But although he overloaded the "as", I think he* had a causal meaning in mind.

b

PS *I've guessed at the gender of the writer. With a few notable exceptions, sports writers tend to be men. )
    Last edited by BobK; 13-Oct-2010 at 12:22. Reason: Added PS

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • China

I think the future is uncertain. So, although he says 'will play', that should not be interpreted as an unwaivable fact. I always say 'I will win this time' when I buy a lottery ticket. Hasn't happened yet! 'will' means something wished for or desired. I see nothing wrong with using 'because' or 'as' there. Their past performance is only an indication of what they may bring in the future. If they had played badly, they probably would not have been picked.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • Switzerland

They were not "picked for" the Bucks. You can't say that. You can say "picked by the Bucks" if you mean that the Bucks drafted them. In any case, they've been playing for the Bucks for more than a year.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

Quote Originally Posted by Jasmin165 View Post
    They were not "picked for" the Bucks. You can't say that. You can say "picked by the Bucks" if you mean that the Bucks drafted them. In any case, they've been playing for the Bucks for more than a year.
    Of course they were and of course I can. Just because I don't speak American (we don't say 'drafted' over here)...

The Bucks have a squad of, say, 25 members. On the day, or just before, a team is picked. From the team, a starting line-up is picked.

Students who tell informative and well-informed teachers 'You can't say that' may find people less inclined to spend time answering their questions.

b

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • French
      • Home Country:
      • France
      • Current Location:
      • France

Not a teacher

Unless Bob kept in mind players are always picked [to play] for a team.

EDIT: Bob is faster

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • Switzerland

Quote Originally Posted by BobK View Post
    Of course they were and of course I can. Just because I don't speak American (we don't say 'drafted' over here)...

The Bucks have a squad of, say, 25 members. On the day, or just before, a team is picked. From the team, a starting line-up is picked.

Students who tell informative and well-informed teachers 'You can't say that' may find people less inclined to spend time answering their questions.

b
    I'm sorry if I've offended you, but "picked for the Bucks" sounds wrong to me. I don't have a problem with the word "pick"; "for" is not the correct preposition in my view.

4. Senior Member
    Interested in Language
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Serbo-Croatian
      • Home Country:
      • Bosnia Herzegovina
      • Current Location:
      • Bosnia Herzegovina

/A learner/

Do you maybe say "drafted in"?

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • Brazil

b
    What are the Bucks? What is FIBA? Who cares? I thought we all spoke English around here.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

Quote Originally Posted by riquecohen View Post
    What are the Bucks? What is FIBA? Who cares? I thought we all spoke English around here.
    Yes we do - the barb was intentional; I should have written 'Murrican.

I think you'll find that in my 9,500-odd other posts I've said 'American English' and not 'American'. Sorry if I've ruffled any feathers.

b