• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Hebrew
      • Home Country:
      • Israel
      • Current Location:
      • Israel

Let alone

Please, check the following passage (the use of tenses, the use of "let alone").

If, for the last seven years, while the district has been still under the control of the authorities, the insurgents haven't faced any difficulty to smuggle weapons, ammunition, money and drugs into this remote area, let alone when the authorities' representatives are gone for ever…
    Last edited by motico; 13-Oct-2010 at 19:51.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Ireland

Re: Let alone

Quote Originally Posted by motico View Post
    Please, check the following passage (the use of tenses, the use of "let alone").

If for the last seven years, while the district was still under the control of the authorities, the insurgents haven't faced any difficulty in smuggling weapons, ammunition, money and drugs into this remote area, what will happen when the authorities' representatives are gone for everů

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Hebrew
      • Home Country:
      • Israel
      • Current Location:
      • Israel

Could you give me example how to use "let alone"?

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Portuguese
      • Home Country:
      • Brazil
      • Current Location:
      • United States

----- Not an ESL teacher -----

If, for the last seven years, while the district has been still under the control of the authorities, the insurgents haven't faced any difficulty to smuggle weapons, ammunition, money and drugs into this remote area, let alone when the authorities' representatives are gone for everů
    Besides Bhaisahab's corrections, I would add:

Your text does not sound well the way it is.
    First, if you want to use for the last seven years as an appositive, then If and while do not match: *If while the district ...

I would change it to something like:
    If, for the last seven years when the district ... area, what will happen when ... forever.
    or
    Considering that during the last seven years in which the district ... remote area, let alone when ... forever.

These are just some suggestions.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

She didn't want to have children at all, let alone quadruplets.
    I wouldn't hire him to wash my car, let alone manage a division in my company.
    I can't even take care of a hamster, let alone a dog.

Let alone is used when you give an example of something much easier/less significant/lower in quantity than the real topic of the conversation.
    I'm not a teacher, but I write for a living. Please don't ask me about 2nd conditionals, but I'm a safe bet for what reads well in (American) English.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Hebrew
      • Home Country:
      • Israel
      • Current Location:
      • Israel

Thank you all of you.

Abstract idea: I see you didn't change the expression: "let alone" in your last example. Why?

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Portuguese
      • Home Country:
      • Brazil
      • Current Location:
      • United States

----- Not an English teacher -----

Thank you all of you.

Abstract idea: I see you didn't change the expression: "let alone" in your last example. Why?
    I didn't change it because I thought you wanted to use it. That was a tentative way of using it in your original sentence.

I think the problem is that you want to achieve two different goals with only one sentence. You don't need to use "let alone" there. In order to use it you may try something along the following lines:

If for the last seven years, while the district has been still under the control of the authorities, the insurgents haven't faced any difficulty in smuggling weapons, ammunition, money and drugs into this remote area, let alone when the authorities' representatives are gone forever.

or

If for the last seven years, with the district under the control of the authorities, the insurgents haven't faced any difficulty in smuggling weapons, ammunition, money and drugs into this remote area, let alone when the authorities' representatives are gone forever.

or

If for the last seven years, being the district under the control of the authorities, the insurgents haven't faced any difficulty in smuggling weapons, ammunition, money and drugs into this remote area, let alone when the authorities' representatives are gone forever.

The underlined parts are the appositive. The trick here is that if you omit them (and also the commas) the sentence continues OK:

If for the last seven years the insurgents haven't faced any difficulty in smuggling weapons, ammunition, money and drugs into this remote area, let alone when the authorities' representatives are gone forever.

In my opinion, the first comma after the if in your original sentence was drawing the reader's attention to the wrong idea.