Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11

    • Join Date: May 2010
    • Posts: 5
    #1

    What does possession of wealth mean

    Hi Guys,

    Just as titled said, What does possession of wealth mean? Does it mean the act of acquiring wealth or the state of having wealth?
    I look at the dictionary, but not really sure what does this mean, perhaps it relates to the grammar. Any information will be appreciated. Thanks a lot :)

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • England

    • Join Date: Jun 2010
    • Posts: 24,452
    #2

    Re: What does possession of wealth mean

    As you will have seen from a dictionary, possession means ownership.

    Rover


    • Join Date: May 2010
    • Posts: 5
    #3

    Re: What does possession of wealth mean

    Quote Originally Posted by Rover_KE View Post
    As you will have seen from a dictionary, possession means ownership.

    Rover

    Thanks for the reply.
    But it could also mean the act of possessing which is different with the state of owning?

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • England

    • Join Date: Jun 2010
    • Posts: 24,452
    #4

    Re: What does possession of wealth mean

    Quote Originally Posted by steve19800 View Post
    But it could also mean the act of possessing which is different with the state of owning?


    Pass.

    Rover


    • Join Date: May 2010
    • Posts: 5
    #5

    Re: What does possession of wealth mean

    Quote Originally Posted by Rover_KE View Post


    Pass.

    Rover
    This is actually a translation of someone's name. If it's translated into english, the meaning is possession of wealth. But I'm not quite sure since it is used as a name. Whether the meaning is the ownership of wealth or the act or fact of possessing wealth or the state being possessed by wealth?
    Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks a lot!

  1. 5jj's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Czech Republic

    • Join Date: Oct 2010
    • Posts: 28,134
    #6

    Re: What does possession of wealth mean

    Well, my Concise Oxford Dictionary defines the word as the act or state of possessing or being possessed, which was a surprise to me; I always considered it to be just a state. I followed it up in the full Oxford English Dictionary, where the definition reads: action or fact of possessing or being possessed, but I couldn’t find any citations that appeared to justify the action part of the definition. So, I gritted my British teeth and tried Webster's Third: the act or condition of having in, or taking into one’s control or holding at one’s disposal. Webster did at least give one example which could be taken as an act: the enemy’s possession of the town, though I would have preferred more context.


    So, it seems fairly clear that the word can refer to an act.


    However, I am puzzled by the fact that it is the translation of a name. A person's name? Does the name in the original language imply act or condition? Is there perhaps a better translation of the name?

  2. bhaisahab's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Ireland

    • Join Date: Apr 2008
    • Posts: 25,592
    #7

    Re: What does possession of wealth mean

    "Is there perhaps a better translation of the name?"
    I was wondering that. As a name, "possessor of wealth" would seem more likely.


    • Join Date: May 2010
    • Posts: 5
    #8

    Re: What does possession of wealth mean

    @fivejedjon & bhaisahab

    The original language is in Tibetan called "Norden". And "Karma" means action, the name is Karma Norden. So the name is translated into english as possession of wealth by the Tibetan people. From what I understand, karma means action, not possession. Perhaps as bhaisahab stated could be a possessor of wealth since possessor involved action.

    But I am wondering it could also be the quality of that person, the quality of wealth? Fivejedjon, I also can't find any citations in my old version Oxford, I thought it could be in the latest version :) I too wish there is a better translation of name but I don't understand Tibetan and couldn't figure it out how. Sorry..

    Guys, if one of your friend has this name. What would be the first thought that comes into your mind? Thanks :)

  3. bhaisahab's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Ireland

    • Join Date: Apr 2008
    • Posts: 25,592
    #9

    Re: What does possession of wealth mean

    Quote Originally Posted by steve19800 View Post
    @fivejedjon & bhaisahab

    The original language is in Tibetan called "Norden". And "Karma" means action, the name is Karma Norden. So the name is translated into english as possession of wealth by the Tibetan people. From what I understand, karma means action, not possession. Perhaps as bhaisahab stated could be a possessor of wealth since possessor involved action.

    But I am wondering it could also be the quality of that person, the quality of wealth? Fivejedjon, I also can't find any citations in my old version Oxford, I thought it could be in the latest version :) I too wish there is a better translation of name but I don't understand Tibetan and couldn't figure it out how. Sorry..

    Guys, if one of your friend has this name. What would be the first thought that comes into your mind? Thanks :)
    "Karma" is a Sanskrit word, it's difficult to translate into English. It does mean action, but a particular type of action, that which sets the cycle of cause and effect in motion. It's origins are in northern India.

  4. bhaisahab's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Ireland

    • Join Date: Apr 2008
    • Posts: 25,592
    #10

    Re: What does possession of wealth mean

    Are you sure it's Tibetan? The name "Norden" seems more Nepalese to me. The idea of karma is associated with Hinduism, Jainism and Buddhism in India and Nepal. I haven't heard of its being used in Tibet, although I have never been there so I could be wrong.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. a wealth of thing - is or are?
    By Shenfeng in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 14-Jun-2010, 15:18
  2. [Grammar] USE OF POSSESSION
    By tough in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 04-Jun-2010, 14:57
  3. Possession
    By Sunshine in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 06-Nov-2009, 08:28
  4. wealth
    By GUEST2008 in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 23-Jan-2009, 15:46
  5. areas of wealth, industry and liquid assets.
    By avonlean in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-Jun-2007, 20:07

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •