• Post Thanks / Like

Identifying Noun Phrase

I have a problem on how to identify noun phrase in English text. I am quite worried about this and I need your help to make me understand. As for the example, how are we going to identified the noun phrase in this sentence;

" Life as a couch potato is more deadly than smoking according to new research which found more people in Hong Kong died from lack of physical activity than from tobacco consumption"

I've done analyzing this sentence but I am not so sure whether it is right or not.

"[Life as a couch potato is more deadly than smoking] according to [new research which found more people in Hong Kong died] from [lack of physical activity than from tobacco consumption]"

The bracket ones are the noun phrases and the bold ones are the first level or the head for that noun phrases. Is it right?

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Czech
      • Home Country:
      • Czech Republic
      • Current Location:
      • Czech Republic

• Post Thanks / Like

Re: Identifying Noun Phrase

Quote Originally Posted by babymefarra View Post
    I have a problem on how to identify noun phrase in English text. I am quite worried about this and I need your help to make me understand. As for the example, how are we going to identified the noun phrase in this sentence;

" Life as a couch potato is more deadly than smoking according to new research which found more people in Hong Kong died from lack of physical activity than from tobacco consumption"

I've done analyzing this sentence but I am not so sure whether it is right or not.

"[Life as a couch potato is more deadly than smoking] according to [new research which found more people in Hong Kong died] from [lack of physical activity than from tobacco consumption]"

The bracket ones are the noun phrases and the bold ones are the first level or the head for that noun phrases. Is it right?

noun phrase is a phrase the head of which is a noun.

thus, in the collocation "couch potato" couch is so called compound adjective, and thus potato is a noun. The head of the phrase is the "potato".

Physical activity is another example of noun phrase.

"physical" is an adjective phrase (adjectival modifier), and "activity" is the head phrase as it's a noun
    Last edited by jirikoo; 15-Oct-2010 at 09:14.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • China

• Post Thanks / Like

Re: Identifying Noun Phrase

First identify all the nouns.