Identifying Noun Phrase

Status
Not open for further replies.

babymefarra

Member Type
Student or Learner
I have a problem on how to identify noun phrase in English text. I am quite worried about this and I need your help to make me understand. As for the example, how are we going to identified the noun phrase in this sentence;

" Life as a couch potato is more deadly than smoking according to new research which found more people in Hong Kong died from lack of physical activity than from tobacco consumption"

I've done analyzing this sentence but I am not so sure whether it is right or not.

"[Life as a couch potato is more deadly than smoking] according to [new research which found more people in Hong Kong died] from [lack of physical activity than from tobacco consumption]"

The bracket ones are the noun phrases and the bold ones are the first level or the head for that noun phrases. Is it right?

jirikoo

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Czech
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
I have a problem on how to identify noun phrase in English text. I am quite worried about this and I need your help to make me understand. As for the example, how are we going to identified the noun phrase in this sentence;

" Life as a couch potato is more deadly than smoking according to new research which found more people in Hong Kong died from lack of physical activity than from tobacco consumption"

I've done analyzing this sentence but I am not so sure whether it is right or not.

"[Life as a couch potato is more deadly than smoking] according to [new research which found more people in Hong Kong died] from [lack of physical activity than from tobacco consumption]"

The bracket ones are the noun phrases and the bold ones are the first level or the head for that noun phrases. Is it right?

noun phrase is a phrase the head of which is a noun.

thus, in the collocation "couch potato" couch is so called compound adjective, and thus potato is a noun. The head of the phrase is the "potato".

Physical activity is another example of noun phrase.

"physical" is an adjective phrase (adjectival modifier), and "activity" is the head phrase as it's a noun

Last edited:

Pedroski

Member Type
Other
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
China
First identify all the nouns.

Status