Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: pull a monica?

  1. Senior Member
    Student or Learner
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

    • Join Date: Sep 2004
    • Posts: 773
    #1

    pull a monica?

    Hello Everyone,

    I got "pull a monica" from the Tv Series friends, which mean do something terribly bad. I would like to know here if the phrase is commonly used in daily Enlgihs?

    Regards

    Sky

  2. bhaisahab's Avatar
    Moderator
    Retired English Teacher
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Ireland

    • Join Date: Apr 2008
    • Posts: 26,076
    #2

    Re: pull a monica?

    Quote Originally Posted by sky753 View Post
    Hello Everyone,

    I got "pull a monica" from the Tv Series friends, which mean do something terribly bad. I would like to know here if the phrase is commonly used in daily Enlgihs?

    Regards

    Sky
    I've never heard it. I've never seen an episode of "Friends".

  3. Tullia's Avatar
    Senior Member
    English Teacher
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • England

    • Join Date: Aug 2010
    • Posts: 628
    #3

    Re: pull a monica?

    Quote Originally Posted by sky753 View Post
    Hello Everyone,

    I got "pull a monica" from the Tv Series friends, which mean do something terribly bad. I would like to know here if the phrase is commonly used in daily Enlgihs?

    Regards

    Sky


    That's the episode where she's catering a dinner party for her mother, right? (I wish I could say I'd never seen an episode, however they seem to be on the television almost incessantly and they can be hard to avoid.)

    If I remember correctly, the phrase only appears in that particular episode, and never became a catchphrase on the show - and it certainly never entered general usage here in the UK, although I can't vouch for whether or not it gets used in the US.

  4. riquecohen's Avatar
    VIP Member
    English Teacher
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • Brazil

    • Join Date: Aug 2010
    • Posts: 6,002
    #4

    Re: pull a monica?

    Quote Originally Posted by Tullia View Post
    That's the episode where she's catering a dinner party for her mother, right? (I wish I could say I'd never seen an episode, however they seem to be on the television almost incessantly and they can be hard to avoid.)

    If I remember correctly, the phrase only appears in that particular episode, and never became a catchphrase on the show - and it certainly never entered general usage here in the UK, although I can't vouch for whether or not it gets used in the US.
    I have never figured out the attraction of "Friends," but my students seem to love it. I suppose the phrase refers to some egregious act of which she was guilty, but it certainly hasn`t entered everyday English in the US.

  5. Tullia's Avatar
    Senior Member
    English Teacher
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • England

    • Join Date: Aug 2010
    • Posts: 628
    #5

    Re: pull a monica?

    Quote Originally Posted by riquecohen View Post
    I have never figured out the attraction of "Friends," but my students seem to love it. I suppose the phrase refers to some egregious act of which she was guilty, but it certainly hasn`t entered everyday English in the US.

    It's possibly the worst show on UK TV for constant repeats.

  6. Editor, UsingEnglish.com
    English Teacher
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Laos

    • Join Date: Nov 2002
    • Posts: 60,232
    #6

    Re: pull a monica?

    And that's saying something.

  7. VIP Member
    Student or Learner
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Polish
      • Home Country:
      • Poland
      • Current Location:
      • Poland

    • Join Date: Jul 2010
    • Posts: 5,098
    #7

    Re: pull a monica?

    Quote Originally Posted by Tullia View Post
    It's possibly the worst show on UK TV for constant repeats.
    God, I thought in civilized countries, like the UK, you never get to watch the same joke twice on TV! Well, that's kind of relieving...

  8. VIP Member
    Interested in Language
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Apr 2009
    • Posts: 12,424
    #8

    Re: pull a monica?

    Due to Bill Clinton, "Monica" became associated with a different type of activity.

Similar Threads

  1. pull me, I'm a right
    By Szymon in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 05-Jul-2007, 11:18
  2. pull (in)
    By retro in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 07-Apr-2007, 14:55
  3. pull it down?
    By user_gary in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 19-Jan-2007, 04:19
  4. pull one over on someone
    By silviasabater_2000 in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 13-Nov-2006, 02:47
  5. Mônica
    By zequim01 in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 18-Apr-2006, 02:46

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •