Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Dear All,

I generally come across to some equipments like blower, fan and compressor wherein word impeller and propeller are commonly utilised to describe swirly motion caused by vanes.

What is the difference between these two?

Regards,

Gulam Dastgir

Ouisch

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
In very basic terms, a propeller is a type of fan that transmits power by converting rotational motion into thrust. An impeller is a similar device but is contained within a tube or cylinder to increase the flow/pressure of a fluid or gas. A propeller is an open-running device - its function directly creates an effect. An impeller is more of an "internal" device, using centrifugal force to propel a substance to other integral mechanical parts of the machinery.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
In very basic terms, a propeller is a type of fan that transmits power by converting rotational motion into thrust. An impeller is a similar device but is contained within a tube or cylinder to increase the flow/pressure of a fluid or gas. A propeller is an open-running device - its function directly creates an effect. An impeller is more of an "internal" device, using centrifugal force to propel a substance to other integral mechanical parts of the machinery.
Yes. I'm still a bit confused, having read: Impeller - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia in which the terms are sometimes used to mean the same thing.

I've always thought of them as being the same thing, but termed differently depending on their function. They both consist of an object with a motorised fan past which a fluid flows.
If the object is moveable, the fan propels the object through the fluid.
If the object is fixed, the fan impels the fluid through the object.
(I hope that's consistent).

Status
Not open for further replies.