Student or Learner
Native Language
Bulgarian
Home Country
Bulgaria
Current Location
Bulgaria
Dear teachers,

Would you tell me whether I am right with my interpretation of the expression in bold in the following sentence?

I was so ragged and dirty that you wouldn’t have touched me with pair of tongs. (Dickens’ “Hard Times”)

I would not touch him with a barge-pole = I would not touch him with pair of tongs = don't want to make common cause with him; he’s a very odious/ lousy person; I hate even to come close to him

Thank you for your efforts.

Regards,

V

Last edited:

lauralie2

Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
China
Dear teachers,

Would you tell me whether I am right with my interpretation of the expression in bold in the following sentence?

I was so ragged and dirty that you wouldn’t have touched me with pair of tongue. (Dickens’ “Hard Times”)

I would not touch him with a barge-pole = I would not touch him with pair of tongue = don't want to make common cause with him; he’s a very odious/ lousy person; I hate even to come close to him

Thank you for your efforts.

Regards,

V
More modern, "I wouldn't touch him with a ten-foot pole."

See here
and here.

Reactions: vil

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
You are right in your interpretation, Vil, but I wonder if the quote from Dickens should read 'a pair of tongs'?

Tongs were often used for picking up very hot things, i.e. things you would want to keep at a distance. A barge pole is a long pole used to propel a barge. In both cases, an instrument used to keep things at a distance would not be long enough to keep away a dirty/unpleasant/hateful person.

More modern people such as lauralie2 might prefer a ten-foot pole, but we old-timers (I'm 64) prefer a barge pole.

Reactions: vil

vil

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Bulgarian
Home Country
Bulgaria
Current Location
Bulgaria
Hi fivejedjon,

Thank you for your amendment.

I beg your pardon for my unmeant foolish mistake. I was mislead by the close sounding if the “tongs” and “tongue”.

Between you and me you are well-night in my age. I am 67 years old now but unfortunately I have begun to study English just since 2004, i.e. I have studied English only for the last 6 years of my existing life. This accounts my tedious imperfection.

Thank you again for your kindness.

V.

Tullia

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
More modern people such as lauralie2 might prefer a ten-foot pole, but we old-timers (I'm 64) prefer a barge pole.

I'm only 30, and I'd go with barge-pole automatically too! Perhaps it's a regional difference? I'm from an area rich in canals; are you?

(I love being able to say I'm "only" 30!)

Status
Not open for further replies.