• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Korean
      • Home Country:
      • South Korea
      • Current Location:
      • South Korea

What is "being truthful" here?

I think I can understand the following in bold literally, but I can't understand what relationship it has with "being truthful." Italics are my questions. You don't have to explain the meaning of each sentence. I just hope you will make me understand the passage more clearly.

Being truthful really does matter. Here are several other examples of the difference it can make.....
    When Laurie Weed was working as a major account rep for a copier company, it was always tough to dislodge a long-term incumbent.(Who does this incumbent refer to in this context? Of course I know its literal meaning.) That's why she was delighted when she received an opportunity to bid on a portion of business at a big company. Shortly after she submitted the proposal, she received a call from her competitor (the incumbent) who wanted to interview her for a position. At the end of the conversation, he said, "By the way, the big company has decided to stay with us."
    Devastated, she wrote a gracious note to her prospect, thanking her for the opportunity and hoping they could work together in the future. Several days later, her prospect called, wondering why she'd received the letter. (What is this letter? Who did it come from?) Laurie shared the story---and was promptly awarded the contract that afternoon.
    Your prospects like truth-tellers. Don't be afraid to speak up. ....

What was Laurie honest about?

Thank you.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • China

Re: What is "being truthful" here?

Who does this incumbent refer to in this context?

• No one in particular: any competitor that holds a contract with a major copier company.
    What is this letter? Who did it come from?

• It's a thank-you letter from Laurie to the 'big company' that offered her opportunity to bid on a portion of their business. She wrote them back thinking there was no longer an opportunity to bid as her competitor, the current account rep, had told her the company had decided not to change account reps.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Korean
      • Home Country:
      • South Korea
      • Current Location:
      • South Korea

Quote Originally Posted by lauralie2 View Post
    Who does this incumbent refer to in this context?

• No one in particular: any competitor that holds a contract with a major copier company.
    What is this letter? Who did it come from?

• It's a thank-you letter from Laurie to the 'big company' that offered her opportunity to bid on a portion of their business. She wrote them back thinking there was no longer an opportunity to bid as her competitor, the current account rep, had told her the company had decided not to change account reps.
    I thought the "she" in "wondering why she'd received the letter" referred to Laurie. But according to your explanation, it seems to refer to Laurie's prospect, someone in the big company.

Then did the Laurie's competitor, the current account rep, tell a lie when he or she said "the big company has decided to stay with us"?

Is the passage saying Laurie spoke the truth about what happened and was awarded the contract because of this truth-telling?

I'm still wondering what "truth" is in the passage. Was Laurie being truthful just because she wrote the letter thinking there was no longer the opportunity to bid?

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Czech Republic

Quote Originally Posted by unpakwon View Post
    I thought the "she" in "wondering why she'd received the letter" referred to Laurie. But according to your explanation, it seems to refer to Laurie's prospect, someone in the big company. Yes

Then did the Laurie's competitor, the current account rep, tell a lie when he or she said "the big company has decided to stay with us"? Yes

Is the passage saying Laurie spoke the truth about what happened and was awarded the contract because of this truth-telling? Yes

I'm still wondering what "truth" is in the passage. Was Laurie being truthful just because she wrote the letter thinking there was no longer the opportunity to bid? Not exactly. Thinking there was no longer the opportunity to bid at this time, and being a good sales rep, she wrote the letter to give herself a chance in the future. This letter revealed that her competitor had lied, which result in the non-lying (ie truthful) Laurie getting the contract.
    Incidentally, if you are not a native speaker and did not fully get the point of this story, don't get depressed. I didn't at first, and I am a native speaker who is supposed to be a reasonably well-educated teacher. The problem for me was that I hadn't met the word incumbent used in this way before and, like unpakwon, I was initially confused by the personal pronouns.
    Last edited by 5jj; 18-Oct-2010 at 03:55. Reason: typo

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Korean
      • Home Country:
      • South Korea
      • Current Location:
      • South Korea

Now I see.

Thank you for the explanation.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • China

Quote Originally Posted by fivejedjon
    This letter revealed that her competitor had lied, which result in the non-lying (ie truthful) Laurie getting the contract.
    According to the text, Laurie's letter didn't mention what had happened. It was when 'her prospect called, wondering why she'd received the letter' that Laurie had no choice but to share the story.

Having heard the story, Laurie's prospect decided to get rid of the current account rep, and with that position now available and Laurie being one of the candidates, the prospect awarded Laurie the contract.

Laurie got the contract because there was an opening, not because she told the truth.