• Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

had got to

Hello forum,

I am not here asking have/have got difference things. What I want to ask is to which extent "had got to" (instead of "had to") is used now in BE. I happened to read of Shooting an Elephant (1936) byGeorge Orwell and found "had got to" appeared four times in it. I referred to his early life and education in Wiki and learned that he was basically educated in Henley-on-Thames and Eton.
    If "had got to" is not popular in BE, then what about it in the above mentioned regions? Or, in which parts of Britain "had got to" is still used considerably?

1. He has got to
    2. He had got to
    3. Had he got to...?
    4. ...when I had got to have ...

I think they (2,3,4) are not necessarily rare in some parts of Britain, are they?

Thank you.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia

Re: had got to

Quote Originally Posted by henz988 View Post
    Hello forum,

I am not here asking have/have got difference things. What I want to ask is to which extent "had got to" (instead of "had to") is used now in BE. I happened to read of Shooting an Elephant (1936) byGeorge Orwell and found "had got to" appeared four times in it. I referred to his early life and education in Wiki and learned that he was basically educated in Henley-on-Thames and Eton.
    If "had got to" is not popular in BE, then what about it in the above mentioned regions? Or, in which parts of Britain "had got to" is still used considerably?

1. He has got to
    2. He had got to
    3. Had he got to...?
    4. ...when I had got to have ...

I think they (2,3,4) are not necessarily rare in some parts of Britain, are they?

Thank you.
    They might be used rarely in some parts of Britain.
    I agree that 2, 3, 4 are not necessary. Use 2. He had to ... 3. Did he have to ...
    I don't know what 4 means.