Other
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Ukraine
Hello!
Is there any difference between these expressions, do the shopping and go shopping? I googled them, but didn't find anything. I was taught at school that when you 'do the shopping', you buy things you need regularly, like foodstuffs, soap, toothpaste etc. When you 'go shopping' you simply go to the shops. Is that correct? Dictionaries like OALD and LDOCE failed to provide any info on that.

Munch

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Japan
Hello!
Is there any difference between these expressions, do the shopping and go shopping? I googled them, but didn't find anything. I was taught at school that when you 'do the shopping', you buy things you need regularly, like foodstuffs, soap, toothpaste etc. When you 'go shopping' you simply go to the shops. Is that correct? Dictionaries like OALD and LDOCE failed to provide any info on that.

Yes, you are correct.

"Go shopping" is more general. It could mean buying things you need regularly, or shopping for fun.

"Do the shopping" implies shopping is a chore - buying regular necessities or perhaps shopping to stock up for a particular purpose or event.

Verona_82

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Ukraine
Thank you, Munch!:-D

Status
Not open for further replies.