Help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chinaprof

Member Type
Academic
Although I am an experienced EFL professional, I have never before taught a child (just under 8) one on one. I have found many excellent materials online but simply do not have time to trawl the net for three hours (as I did this week) seeking materials for only one client. Can anyone recommend a good book for speaking? I can obviously supplement such but would like a book as basis, especially since it will also save me from having to develop a syllabus.

The child has already done a year of English in school and knows the alphabet and some basic sentences, colours, nouns and verbs but really isn't accustomed to speaking much. I should mention, I am in China and the largest bookshops in my town have nothing for her age range except general (Chinese) English books. The parents are willing to buy a good English publication if we can get it delivered.

I'd be grateful for any ideas.

Thanks.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
ld mention, I am in China and the largest bookshops in my town have nothing for her age range except general (Chinese) English books. The parents are willing to buy a good English publication if we can get it delivered.

I'd be grateful for any ideas.

Thanks.
The lack of response to this request suggests that there aren't many of us who have helpful suggestions. Having tried teaching in China (perhaps I should say, "tried to teach"), I am afraid I haven't.

It might be helpful to know that some Chinese parents look on a private language teacher for their child as a prestige thing. You might also find that Chinese children tend to respond in a way that they think will please their teachers, and tend to learn by heart answers that they have been told are 'correct' You may be frustrated by your pupil's lack of creativity. You may even find, if you set homework, that the parents pay someone else to do it for their child so that the child produces perfect work.

Before anyone accuse me of prejudice against Chinese learners, I hasten to add that I am merely recounting situations I encountered.

Chinaprof

Member Type
Academic
Thanks for the advice. I don't normally do private tuition actually, so have plenty of experience of the tricks which Chinese students get up to in efforts to cheat. Didn't know about the paying of yet another teacher to do the homework for a private pupil, though. I suppose if you have money to burn.

My class with the little girl is entirely interactive speaking work and I do not set homework as she has so many extra-curricular classes and activities that I think the poor kid needs a rest.

Still looking for ideas on a good foreign publication speaking book. She would be around third or fourth stage from beginner in terms of reading and passive knowledge, but not able to make a correct sentence in spoken English due to lack of opportunity at school. We're working on correcting phonemes, and simple sentences asking answering questions, this/that's, short forms in connected speech - I've got, she's got, he's a etc and trying to get away from robo-speak.

Status
Not open for further replies.