• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • Switzerland

To

"To terminate a contract by giving two months' notice to the end of the month."

I don't understand the meaning of "to" here. Can anyone explain what it means? I'm assuming it has a different meaning from "at the end of the month."

Thanks

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Japan

Re: To

It is confusing to me. It might mean “two months notice counting from the end of that calendar month.”

For example, if you want the contract to terminate at the end of April, you would have to give notice some time in January (because the start of April is two months after the end of January). But I could be incorrect. I think it is a poorly worded sentence.

Anybody have more experience with contracts? Is this type of phrase familiar to you?

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Czech Republic

Quote Originally Posted by Munch View Post
    It is confusing to me. It might mean “two months notice counting from the end of that calendar month.”

For example, if you want the contract to terminate at the end of April, you would have to give notice some time in January (because the start of April is two months after the end of January). But I could be incorrect. I think it is a poorly worded sentence.

Anybody have more experience with contracts? Is this type of phrase familiar to you?
    It is confusing to me too. However my guess (and that's all it is) is that two things are involved:

1. (a minimum of ) two month's notice must be given.

2. You can give notice only that you will stop working on the last day of a specified month - i.e. you will work (up) to the end of the month. If I am right, then this would mean that if you want the contract to terminate at the end of April,you can give notice at any time in February, up to, and including, the last day. You would then work the two full months of March and April, in addition to any remaining days in February.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Japan

Quote Originally Posted by fivejedjon View Post
    It is confusing to me too. However my guess (and that's all it is) is that two things are involved:

1. (a minimum of ) two month's notice must be given.

2. You can give notice only that you will stop working on the last day of a specified month - i.e. you will work (up) to the end of the month. If I am right, then this would mean that if you want the contract to terminate at the end of April,you can give notice at any time in February, up to, and including, the last day. You would then work the two full months of March and April, in addition to any remaining days in February.
    I think your second interpretation makes at least as much sense as mine.