Results 1 to 8 of 8
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Ukrainian
      • Home Country:
      • Ukraine
      • Current Location:
      • Ukraine

    • Join Date: Sep 2010
    • Posts: 3,469
    #1

    speaking of vs speaking about

    "Does she know she's being spoken of at the moment."

    OR

    "Does she know she's being spoken of right now."

    OR

    "Does she know she's being spoken about at the moment."

    OR

    "Does she know she's being spoken of right know."

    Any difference "speak of" or "speak about"?

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Ukrainian
      • Home Country:
      • Ukraine
      • Current Location:
      • Ukraine

    • Join Date: Sep 2010
    • Posts: 3,469
    #2

    Re: speaking of vs speaking about

    Quote Originally Posted by ostap77 View Post
    "Does she know she's being spoken of at the moment."

    OR

    "Does she know she's being spoken of right now."

    OR

    "Does she know she's being spoken about at the moment."

    OR

    "Does she know she's being spoken of right know."

    Any difference "speak of" or "speak about"?
    Did anyone create a thread regarding "speak of/speak about"?

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Ukrainian
      • Home Country:
      • Ukraine
      • Current Location:
      • Ukraine

    • Join Date: Sep 2010
    • Posts: 3,469
    #3

    Re: speaking of vs speaking about

    Quote Originally Posted by ostap77 View Post
    Did anyone create a thread regarding "speak of/speak about"?
    Can you please explain it?

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Dec 2009
    • Posts: 6,330
    #4

    Re: speaking of vs speaking about

    Quote Originally Posted by ostap77 View Post
    Can you please explain it?

    ***** NOT A TEACHER *****

    (1) The only thing I have been able to find comes from Professor

    Quirk's A Comprehensive Grammar of the English Language, which

    many people feel is the most complete grammar book available (although

    it is not recommended for beginners).

    (2) Professor Quirk (along with his associates, who also deserve

    credit) says this (in my words):

    We use about with verbs such as tell, speak, talk.

    The good professor says that we can also use of, but " [Of] is a

    somewhat rarer and more literary alternative." In other words,

    ordinary people like me would use "about," and very formal writing or

    upper-class people might prefer "of."

    (3) Tom: Everybody is speaking about Martha.

    Mona: Why?

    Tom: Her boyfriend is 15 years younger than she.

    Mona: Does Martha know that she is being spoken about behind

    everyone's back?

    Tom: I don't think the dear does.

    *****

    I think (only think) that you could say:

    Does Martha know that she is being spoken of behind everyone's

    back?

    Since I do not come from the upper classes, I would feel unsure about

    using "of."

    *****

    Here are some quotations I found by googling:

    The very persons spoken of in these official papers.

    The person thus spoken of.

    If the person meant is identical with the person spoken of.

    The person spoken of is being praised by one who loves him.

    (I think -- think -- that these of's could be replaced with

    about's.)

    ***** NOT A TEACHER *****

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Ukrainian
      • Home Country:
      • Ukraine
      • Current Location:
      • Ukraine

    • Join Date: Sep 2010
    • Posts: 3,469
    #5

    Re: speaking of vs speaking about

    Quote Originally Posted by TheParser View Post
    ***** NOT A TEACHER *****

    (1) The only thing I have been able to find comes from Professor

    Quirk's A Comprehensive Grammar of the English Language, which

    many people feel is the most complete grammar book available (although

    it is not recommended for beginners).

    (2) Professor Quirk (along with his associates, who also deserve

    credit) says this (in my words):

    We use about with verbs such as tell, speak, talk.



    The good professor says that we can also use of, but " [Of] is a

    somewhat rarer and more literary alternative." In other words,

    ordinary people like me would use "about," and very formal writing or

    upper-class people might prefer "of."

    (3) Tom: Everybody is speaking about Martha.

    Mona: Why?

    Tom: Her boyfriend is 15 years younger than she.

    Mona: Does Martha know that she is being spoken about behind

    everyone's back?

    Tom: I don't think the dear does.

    *****

    I think (only think) that you could say:

    Does Martha know that she is being spoken of behind everyone's

    back?

    Since I do not come from the upper classes, I would feel unsure about

    using "of."

    *****

    Here are some quotations I found by googling:

    The very persons spoken of in these official papers.

    The person thus spoken of.

    If the person meant is identical with the person spoken of.

    The person spoken of is being praised by one who loves him.

    (I think -- think -- that these of's could be replaced with

    about's.)

    ***** NOT A TEACHER *****
    If some said that "Does she know she's being spoken of ?" was inncorect, he would be mistaken?
    Last edited by ostap77; 20-Oct-2010 at 20:48.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Dec 2009
    • Posts: 6,330
    #6

    Re: speaking of vs speaking about

    Quote Originally Posted by ostap77 View Post
    If some said that "Does she know she's being of ?" was inncorect, he would be mistaken?

    ***** NOT A TEACHER *****

    (1) To the best of my knowledge,

    "Does she know she is being of?" is an incomplete sentence.

    Since it is the passive, it needs a past participle:

    "Does she know she is being spoken of?"

    ***** NOT A TEACHER *****

  1. philadelphia's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • French
      • Home Country:
      • France
      • Current Location:
      • France

    • Join Date: Apr 2008
    • Posts: 838
    #7

    Re: speaking of vs speaking about

    Not a teacher

    The verb "speak" takes the preposition "of" to indicate information.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • England

    • Join Date: Jun 2010
    • Posts: 24,449
    #8

    Re: speaking of vs speaking about

    'Does she know she's being spoken of?' is correct, but not colloquial.

    I'd say 'Does she know she's being talked about?'

    Rover

Similar Threads

  1. Speaking
    By Dinhtuong in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 21-Aug-2010, 10:45
  2. Commercially speaking Vs commercial speaking
    By Piak in forum General Language Discussions
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 19-Sep-2008, 11:28
  3. "averagely speaking" and "generally speaking"
    By sula54 in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 22-Nov-2005, 15:45
  4. speaking
    By daryoush1 in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 13-Mar-2005, 21:01
  5. speaking
    By Anonymous in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 15-Aug-2004, 19:13

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •