• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

Re: CELTA- Initial qualification

I can't argue with your experience, Hunia, but I knew plenty of fantastic teachers in Madrid who had a CELTA but no degree (in anything, let alone a language-related subject area). The thing with teaching English as a foreign/second language is that it is a great opportunity for older people looking for a career change or simply an opportunity to live abroad for a while. Those people might have finished their education at least a couple of decades ago, without getting a degree. I think it's unreasonable to expect people to take three years out of their life to do a degree as an adult learner, then a CELTA, in order to perhaps only spend a couple of years teaching English.
    I, for one, was very grateful for the fact that when I taught in Madrid, there were academies that didn't require a degree in order to work for them.
    Remember - if you don't use correct capitalisation, punctuation and spacing, anything you write will be incorrect.

2. VIP Member
    Retired English Teacher
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • Europe
      • Current Location:
      • Czech Republic

Quote Originally Posted by Hunia View Post
    I have seen many native CELTA graduates making errors/mistakes in their written English like confusing "its" and "it's".
    I see graduates in english making such misteaks evryday.

3. Editor, UsingEnglish.com
    English Teacher
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Japan

Quote Originally Posted by Hunia View Post
    I am highly skeptical of CELTA for various reasons. As a former President of an international college network, I would never employ and never have employed any native ESl teacher with a CELTA but without a relevant degree in a language-related subject area. I have seen many native CELTA graduates making errors/mistakes in their written English like confusing "its" and "it's". They are simply lacking essential grammar knowledge of their native language.
    That may well be true and I too have seen it. However, in many parts of the world, there is not the labour pool to set standards so high. I would favour candidates with such degrees, but I also live in the developing world, where it can be difficult to make such demands.

Page 3 of 3 First 1 2 3