Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Spain
Current Location
Spain
Can anyone please explain to me why some words have two different transcriptions. The word I've found is "room".

Thanks

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Can anyone please explain to me why some words have two different transcriptions. The word I've found is "room".

Thanks

The only explanation I can suggest is that people use two different pronunciations, depending on stress. If you asked me the word for a cubicle in a house with one or more doors, and usually - but not always - one or more windows, I'd say /ru:m/. But in a compound where it's not stressed, like /'ba:θrʊm/ you use the shorter version.

There's a certain amount of latitude; different speakers make the choice between the two variants differently. But both variants occur, and sometimes the choice may seem random. For example, there are two novels - A Room at the Top and A Room with a View, and the vowel lengths vary (it seems to me) to match the length of the vowel in the other word (a sort of long-range form of phonetic assimilation): /ʊ/ /ɒ/ in the first, and /u:/ /u:/ in the second [that's my idiolect; some speakers would probably balance the vowel lengths: /u:/ /ɒ/ and /ʊ/ /u:/ - so that each title has one short vowel and one long!]

But there are no hard and fast rules that I know of - sorry :oops: , not very satisfactory, but there it is...

b

PS Seeing your provenance, I think I could have shortened my answer. In RSP I believe the vowel is usually something like /ʊ/ (but with rather more lip-rounding than we do South of the border) in both cases. This vowel is often transcribed in literary works as 'ui' - as in 'Guid grief mon'!

Last edited:
Reactions: 5jj

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
I'd just add that when I attended a would-be public school in the 1950s, my /ru:m/ was not considered refined enough. I was corrected so much that I still tend to say /rʊm/ today.

Note for Americans: a public school in BrE is one of the more prestigious private schools

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I'd just add that when I attended a would-be public school in the 1950s, my /ru:m/ was not considered refined enough. I was corrected so much that I still tend to say /rʊm/ today.

Note for Americans: a public school in BrE is one of the more prestigious private schools

That rings a bell. I made the transition the other way, from a posh school to one where a posh accent didn't fit in; maybe that's why my pronunciation varies (as does many other people's - not being sure what to do about class-based accent choices).

b

Last edited:
Reactions: 5jj
Member Type
English Teacher

Thanks

Dictionary.com lists two different transcriptions:
/rum, rʊm/

For any word, the first transcription is always the most common pronunciation, and any transcription after it is/are accepted alternative pronunciations.

Rachel

Status
Not open for further replies.