Home Country
United States
Current Location
Brazil
"How much did he take out from Jessica's account."

OR

"How much did he get out from Jessica's account."

Which one is more frequently used?
To me, the first sentence suggests that it was done with Jessica´s knowledge, while the second implies that it was done surreptitiously. I think that your question cannot be answered, as we are talking about two different situations.
You should omit out in both sentences.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
To me, the first sentence suggests that it was done with Jessica´s knowledge, while the second implies that it was done surreptitiously. I think that your question cannot be answered, as we are talking about two different situations.

For once I have to disagree with riquecohen. I think that both are possible without necessarily implying a surreptitious withdrawal. I also feel that out is acceptable.

ostap77

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine

So the second example implies that someone hacked into her account or withdrew money from it without her knowing it.?

ostap77

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
So the second example implies that someone hacked into her account or withdrew money from it without her knowing it.?

Any comments?

riquecohen

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
Brazil
That´s how I see it. Fivejedjon disagrees, so clearly this is an issue of individual interpretation. I think both points of view are valid. Of course, the intent could be clarified if the examples were presented in a broader context.

Status
Not open for further replies.