Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
Spain
Current Location
UK
Hello,

I am a final year International Communications student with the intention of doing a 4 week CELTA or TRINITY course this summer so that i can tefl in Spain come September. I am bilingual (English being slightly stronger than my Spanish) and i am a Spanish national, although i have lived in England since the age of 5. I have been educated in England but maintained my Spanish by speaking it at home.

My main concern is that i will find it difficult to find a tefl job in Spain because i am technically not an English native. (Although my English is perfect both oral/written). Do you think this will be the case? Also, if i did my CELTA/Trinity course in july for example... would this give me enough time to find a tefl job in spain for September when school starts?

I would really appreciate all the advice you could offer me regarding tefl in Spain, including any recommendations of course providers, whether to do the tefl course in the UK or abroad, etc.

Look forward to hearing from you.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
I think a lot would depend on the individual who reads your application- it's not the passport that defines a native speaker. Some might regard it as an advantage, but schools that advertise native speaker teachers might have a problem with your status, though these might do something like ask you to anglicise your name a bit, which I have come across with a few bilingual teachers.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Hello,
Also, if i [1]did my CELTA/Trinity course in july for example... would this give me enough time to find a tefl job in spain for September when school starts?[2]

I would really appreciate all the advice you could offer me regarding ... whether to do the tefl course in the UK or abroad, etc.[3]

1. Remember the first person singular subject pronoun is always capitalised in English.
2. Many people start applying for jobs while they are still on the course. There is nothing to stop you applying even before you start the course, provided that you have been firmly accepted, and that you explain this clearly to the potential employer.
3. Provided that the course-provider is recognised by Cambridge or Trinity, it doesn't make much difference to native speakers. Non-natives sometimes prefer to study in the UK, because it gives them the opportunity to experience living in the country whose language they plan to teach, and to gain further authentic practice in using the language in real-life situations.

Helipacter

Member Type
English Teacher
I wouldn't worry too much. You shouldn't have trouble finding work. If you've lived in Britain since you were 5 then that counts for a lot.

The standards of the academies here in Spain vary drastically - so one place will give you a phone interview and and offer you some hours pretty much immediately, whilst another will want a full interview, copies of all your certificates as well as referees before they will even think about employing you. (Try to aim for the latter, rather than the former.)

If you're a new teacher, try to go with the place that offers you the most support - experienced leaders/teachers on staff, great materials, classes in house etc. My first job was in an academy that gave me a quick interview, hours immediately and no support whatsoever. This was hell for me - as there are many lessons you need to learn in your first year, and having someone to help you is worth it's weight in gold. Also, always read the teacher's guides for the student books, as they're packed with really good ideas for each lesson; there is nothing worse than blazing through your prepared material in 20mins and then struggling to find things to fill the remaining 40.

Anyway, best of luck with finding work.

Last edited:

I'm With Stupid

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Vietnam
Personally, I would do the certificate in the city you want to work in. As far as I'm aware, International House has no requirements about being a native speaker, and if you do your CELTA with them, you might be more likely to get a job with them at the end of it (although you might be scraping a living in a city like Barcelona). The other advantage is that it gives you time to get your bearings in a new city and figure out the schools you want to be working for.

Tullia

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
I'm currently doing a CELTA in Milan, and loving it. I would like to teach in Italy, so I thought doing the course out here would be good, and it has been a great experience so far. There are job adverts coming into the school every day, so it seems like it does indeed make it easier to find work if you do the course in your desired destination country.

It is more expensive, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.