Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Could you please clarify the grammatical usage of is in the following sentence? The answer is in the question. Is the verb "is" in the sentence a state of being or linking verb. What is the grammatical explanation for in the qustion in this sentence. Thank you/

Pedroski

Member Type
Other
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
China
'in the question' is a location, an adverbial of location, not a noun, so this is not an identity.

The answer lies where? The answer lies in the question. 'in the question' an adverbial pointed at 'lies', telling us where the answer is to be found. Ditto your sentence. 'in the question' points at is, the locative sense of 'be', telling us where. Being in a location, you still exist, so in that sense, it is existential.

Unless of course you want to say: The answer (to a previously asked question) is 'in the question' then you establish the identity 'The answer' = 'in the question'. But I don't think you mean that.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Could you please clarify the grammatical usage of is in the following sentence? The answer is in the question. Is the verb "is" in the sentence a state of being or linking verb. What is the grammatical explanation for in the qustion in this sentence. Thank you/

That's the third time you've raised this question in one form or another.
Look back at the answers that were given on 17 and 20 October.

Jennifer Nevsky

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Dear Fivejedjon:
I agree it is annoying, but I do not completely understand because I get confused. I am a teacher in New York,and I know how frustrating it is when students are slow in getting it. Sometimes it is worth the effort because the determination to get it measures the interest. I appreciate your responses but suggest patience. If I keep asking, I hopefully will get it...eventually.

Pedroski

Member Type
Other
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
China
How awful, you asked something THREE times! Absolutely unforgiveable!

A very abstruse subject cannot be handled in a few lines.

Jenny, your ok! I suggest concrete shoes and a swim in the Hudson for him!

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Could you please clarify the grammatical usage of "is" in the following sentence? "The answer is in the question." Is the verb "is" in the sentence a state of being or linking verb. What is the grammatical explanation for in the qustion in this sentence. Thank you/
Of course it's a state of being verb.
State-of-Being Verbs Verbs
State of being Verbs
If that's how a "state of being" verb is defined in your education system, that's what it is.
It's also a copula, and a linking verb.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
How awful, you asked something THREE times! Absolutely unforgiveable!

A very abstruse subject cannot be handled in a few lines.

Jenny, you're ok! I suggest concrete shoes and a swim in the Hudson for him!

I accept that a very abstruse subject cannot be handled in a few lines. I just feel that it is more helpful to continue one discussion in one thread than simply to start another thread as though the first did not exist.

In one of the previous threads Jennifer said she was confused by the explanations in the materials she was using. I suggested that if she could let us see the confusing explanations, we would be in a better position to assist. They have not been produced yet.

The threat of concrete shoes does not change my opinion. I would like to help Jennifer - and possibly others. But I, at least, need more information, not just a repetition of the original question. As Raymott pointed out, BE is a state-of-being verb AND a copula AND a linking verb.

If we can see how Jennifer's authorities define the differences, we may be able to help resolve the confusion.

Pedroski

Member Type
Other
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
China
Thanks for the correction, I never could spell. I'll tell Mugsy and Crazy Joey not to bother with the swim-shoes!

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
In the absence of further information about exactly what Jennifer’s course books say, here is one suggestion:

1. I think, therefore I am.

2. I am a teacher/happy/late/well/in London/etc.

3a. I am working from home.
3b. I am occasionally accused of being impatient.

In #1, BE could has a meaning similar to exist; this would appear to fall within a state-of-being category.

In#2, BE has no real ‘meaning’. It simply links what goes before it with what follows. I would refer to this BE as a linking or copular verb.

In #3, BE acts as an auxiliary verb. Combined with a part of the full, or lexical, verb, it is used to construct what are frequently referred to as continuous or progressive forms (a) and passive forms (b).

In this post I am simply making a suggestion, not attempting to lay down the law. Comments would be appreciated.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Of course it's a state of being verb.
State-of-Being Verbs Verbs
State of being Verbs
If that's how a "state of being" verb is defined in your education system, that's what it is.
It's also a copula, and a linking verb.

The trouble with creating new terms is that it can just get confusing. I can see that helping verb may be easier to grasp than auxiliary verb, but state of being strikes me as an ugly term. ;-)

lauralie2

Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
China
Reactions: 5jj

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
I agree with Tdol, but this term seems to be widely used, in the USA at least, so I think we need to establish what is meant by it. It would be helpful if someone could come up with a definition from a serious grammarian.

I had missed lauralie2's very helpful link when I I posted the first two sentences of this one. Sorry

Last edited:

TheParser

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States

***** NOT A TEACHER *****

Ms. Nevsky,

We all understand how difficult it must be to teach grammar to a bunch of
teenagers. I am sure that you are doing a fine job.

The other posters have done a great job in answering your question.

May I add my two cents' worth?

(1) It might be helpful if you just use the terms "full verb" and

"linking verb." In other words, if it is not a linking verb, then it

must be a full verb. This might be easier for your students.

(2) In my favorite grammar book, the authors give these two

examples:

(a) The teacher is in his office.

(b) The teacher is in a very bad humor.

Before I give you the authors' explanation, would you like to

take a minute out to parse (analyze) them in your mind?

In sentence (a), it tells you where the teacher is (that is, where he

exists). So the book simply calls it a full verb. "In his office" is a

prepositional phrase that modifies (belongs to) "is." It tells you where

he is.

In sentence (b), the prepositional phrase "obviously" describes the

teacher's emotions. So we would call "is" a so-called linking verb.

In other words: teacher = in a very bad humor.

Please do not be discouraged.

"China is far from the United States."

I once asked 10 teachers at the best adult ESL (English as a Second

Language) school in the United States: Is "is" in that sentence a full

verb or linking verb?

According to my favorite book, the answer should probably be "full

verb." Right?

Well, 5 of those teachers immediately replied: "A linking verb."

I am sure that you will do an excellent job. Remember that many people

here are eager to help you at any time.

*****NOT A TEACHER *****

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
The trouble with creating new terms is that it can just get confusing. I can see that helping verb may be easier to grasp than auxiliary verb, but state of being strikes me as an ugly term. ;-)
My understanding is that Jennifer is not so interested in discussing the ontology of verbs, or the aesthetics of their nomenclature. By accepting that "is" is a "state of being" verb (which it is), she can get on with her life.
I'm not endorsing any terminology. It's there, and it is what it is.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
My understanding is that Jennifer is not so interested in discussing the ontology of verbs, or the aesthetics of their nomenclature. By accepting that "is" is a "state of being" verb (which it is), she can get on with her life.
I'm not endorsing any terminology. It's there, and it is what it is.

Perhaps, but it seems that she is faced with the problem of having to use published materials that expect pupils to be able to say when "is" is a state-of-being verb and when it is not!

lauralie2

Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
China
I had missed lauralie2's very helpful link when I I posted the first two sentences of this one. Sorry
Here is it:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennifer Nevsky
The grammar book says when the verb "to be" is used in a sentence saying when or where about the subject it is a state of being verb as opposed to a linking verb.

Yes, it's confusing, but I get it, and I'll explain it to you.

The book you're using divides the verb "To Be" into two categories:
(i) Linking Verb

"To Be" is called a linking verb when it is followed by a subject complement:

• Max is a girl. <predicate noun>
  • Max is tall. <predicate adjective>

Subject complements are of two types: nouns and adjectives. Notice that prepositions and adverbs, words that introduce phrases that answer the questions "Where?" and "When?", do not fit into the above category. So, ...

(ii) State-of-Being Verb

"To Be" is called a state-of-being verb when it is followed by a preposition or an adverb:

• Max is in the house. / Where is Max?
    • grammatical form: prepositional phrase
    • grammatical function: adverb

• Max's party is today. / When is the party?
    • grammatical form: adverb
    • grammatical function: adverb
The prepositional phrase "in the house" doesn't describe "Max", as does "tall" in "Max is tall", nor does it rename "Max", as does "a girl" in "Max is a girl." The prepositional phrase "in the house" tells us where Max is located, and the reason your book defines "To Be" as a state-of-being verb in those kinds of sentences.

The adverb "today" doesn't describe "Max's party", nor does it rename "Max's party". It answers the question "When?", and the reason your book defines "To Be" as a state-of-being verb in those kinds of sentences.

In short, and according to what you have told us about your book, here's the skinny (the simplest way of saying it):

• if "To Be" is followed by a noun or an adjective, it is called a linking verb
    • Linking Verb: "To Be" + Noun or Adjective
      • N & A rename or describe the subject
        • Max is a girl.
        • Max is tall.

• if "To Be" is followed by a preposition or an adverb, it is called a state-of-being verb
    • State-of-Being Verb: "To Be" + Preposition or Adverb
      • P and A describe the subject in time and space
        • Max is in the house.
        • Max's party is today.

corum

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Hungarian
Home Country
Hungary
Current Location
Hungary
1. [Max] [is] [a student]. -- SVC
2. [Max] [is] [nice]. -- SVC
3. [Max] [is] [in the house]. -- SVA

In these sentences, (at least) one thing is common: the post-verbal section of the sentence attributes something to the referent of the subject. Status is assigned to Max in #1, aesthetic quality in #2, and location in #3. According to Quirk et al., these are all copular structures with the proper form of 'be' functioning as a linking verb.

lauralie2

Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
China
1. [Max] [is] [a student]. -- SVC
2. [Max] [is] [nice]. -- SVC
3. [Max] [is] [in the house]. -- SVA

In these sentences, (at least) one thing is common: the post-verbal section of the sentence attributes something to the referent of the subject. Status is assigned to Max in #1, aesthetic quality in #2, and location in #3. According to Quirk et al., these are all copular structures with the proper form of 'be' functioning as a linking verb.
Terminology is a problem, true. To be more exact, copular structures (A = B) house linking verbs. That's the commonality shared by both authorities, the grammar text in question and Quirk et al.

The rule: if you can replace the verb with an equal sign (=), the verb "links" the subject as opposed to "helps" the verb:

• Max is nice.
    • Max = nice.
      • linking verb

• Max is asking a question.
    • Max = asking a question :cross:
      • non-linking verb
        • helping verb

As for the theoretical standpoint that SVA structures are copular, the notion there is that "A" describes "S" in time and space, making "V" a linking verb by templatic analogy (i.e., S = A :: S = C). Others beg to differ, as you may have notice on this board, and on others; but, that's theory for you.

As for high-school students of English grammar, their text, the one their teacher is working from, says that "V" of SVA is not a linking verb but rather a state-of-being verb because only SVC structures house linking verbs. OK, so that's the notion and the terminology they are using, and as long as the students know that SVA structures are not the same as SVC structures (which, by the way, Quirk et al. also recognizes: "A" is not included in "C"), the students are good to go, right?

Quirk et al. and the students' grammar text are saying the same thing, SVA is not SVC, but they are using different terminology to do so.

And yes, I agree that the terminology on both sides is unforgiving. But it is not incomprehensible. Far from it. Strip away "the noise" and we are left with these two viewpoints:

1. Copular structures house linking verbs. SVA is a copular structure which makes "V" a linking verb (W-what else could it be? The theory doesn't allow for any wiggle room here). They recognize that SVA is different from SVC: "A" is not included in "C".
  2. Copular structures house linking verbs. "V" is not a linking verb because "A" does not link to "S" in the same way that "C" links to "S", and if "V" of SVC is a copular verb, a linking verb, then "V" of SVA cannot be. It belongs to the other category of non-Dynamic verbs that do not behave as copular verbs do, namely, state-of-being verbs. They recognize that SVA is different from SVC: "A" is not included in "C".

In short, both views differ, and they differ along the fuzzy lines of terminology, but they certainly agree where it counts: SVA is not SVC. That's all the students need to know, no matter what "V" is called.

e2e4

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Serbo-Croatian
Home Country
Bosnia Herzegovina
Current Location
Bosnia Herzegovina
.., but I do not completely understand because I get confused. . If I keep asking, I hopefully will get it...eventually.
The teacher must be able to estimate the learner's level of knowledge and approach by way of to start from the right point.

In addition

A member wrote, 'Jenny your ok!'
It was corrected as, 'Jenny you're ok!'
Shouldn't it be, 'Jenny you're OK!'?

Last edited:

Pedroski

Member Type
Other
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
China
Yes, that should be 'you're' I can't spell. I don't know whether ok is ok or OK is OK.

Aren't all verbs 'linking verbs'? All verbs link their arguments, or we wouldn't use them.
Lauralie, you are bold to say 'I get it'
I'm a bit wary of neat little explanations which then need a long row of exceptions explained.

* Max is in the house. / Where is Max? Max is in a bad mood. / What is Max? (grumpy)
o grammatical form: prepositional phrase o grammatical form: non locative prepositional phrase
o grammatical function: adverb o grammatical function: adjective

Cf What are the best drinks to have at an in house party? As you like to quote Quirk, you will have read: 'The backstage noise'. 'The above quotation' 'backstage' 'above' are clearly locative adverbs, as Randy rightly reveals, as is 'in the house'. Are these then adverbs or adjectives? How will you know?

Today is a non count noun. Today is beautiful
* Max's party is today. / When is the party? Today is Max's party. / What is the party?
o grammatical form: adverb o grammatical form: subject (SVC as I've been told English is)
o grammatical function: adverb o grammatical function: subject What is 'Max's party'?

What I'm saying is: things are neither clear cut, nor simple, nor have they been exhaustively explained here.

Status
Not open for further replies.