what is the adverb of 'timely'

Status
Not open for further replies.

enydia

Member Type
Student or Learner
Hi teachers,

What is the adverb of 'timely'?

Is there any expression briefer than 'in a timely manner'.

lauralie2

Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
China
Hi teachers,

What is the adverb of 'timely'?

Is there any expression https://www.usingenglish.com/forum/images/editor/switchmode.gifbriefer than 'in a timely manner'.
In Legal English "timely" works as an adverb, but it sounds rather odd. According to this author, as an adverb "timely" is more concise and so better than the phrases that are currently being used:

And how about on a timely basis? In on a timely basis, in a timely manner, and in a timely fashion, the word timely is used as an adjective. But in American English timely can also be used as an adverb, and in the interest of concision you’d be best off replacing those phrases with timely, as in “a material adverse effect on the Company’s ability to perform on a timely basis [read timely perform] its obligations under any Transaction Document.”​

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
In Legal English "timely" works as an adverb, but it sounds rather odd. According to some guy who writes a blog because he's paid to by Adam's Drafting (and I wonder is if his name's Adam? ;-)), as an adverb "timely" is more concise and so better than the phrases that are currently being used:

I'm sceptical about links hidden by weasel words like 'this author'. The writer may well be right, but I'd like to have some idea of his credentials.

But as you say, this is legal English and very formal. Some dictionaries may recognize 'timely' as an adverb, but I've never heard or seen it used that way - except in very formal and archaic contexts. I agree that the best thing is to rewrite the text, but I'm sure it's possible to do it without making it sound as if it was written by Dickens ;-)

E.g. 'Delivery is expected to be effected in timely fashion' => We require timely delivery (I imagine Adam's Drafting could do such a rewrite - at a price.)

b

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
PS - I did a whois search, and got this:

Registrant:
ADAMS, KENNETH A.
... [contact details removed]
Domain Name: ADAMSDRAFTING.COM

Administrative Contact, Technical Contact:
ADAMS, KENNETH A.
... [contact details removed]

Record expires on 16-Jul-2011.
Record created on 16-Jul-2000.

Domain servers in listed order:

NS51.DOMAINCONTROL.COM
NS52.DOMAINCONTROL.COM

I wonder what the initial stands for. :-? I'm not saying he's wrong - just that he may be parti pris (French for 'not entirely impartial' ;-))

b

Last edited:

lauralie2

Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
China
...I'd like to have some idea of his credentials.
Ken's contact info is quite easy to find. Click on "contact", located at the top right-hand corner of the site and it will bring you to this page. His phone number, mailing address, and e-mail are there for all to see. Ask him about his credentials.

But as you say, this is legal English and very formal. Some dictionaries may recognize 'timely' as an adverb, but I've never heard or seen it used that way - except in very formal and archaic contexts. I agree that the best thing is to rewrite the text, but I'm sure it's possible to do it without making it sound as if it was written by Dickens ;-)
I wouldn't go so far as to describe legal English as "very formal". If anything, it's too wordy (ambiguity intended), and the reason Ken advises using concise "timely" instead of verbose "on a timely basis"--the blurb is about 'verbosity in adverbial constructions', right?

True, some dictionaries recognize "timely" as an adverb, and they are USA based. I, too, have never heard "timely" used that way. I came across a few examples while searching on-line, all legal English examples, some with added explanations that as an adverb it's rare, and that it's considered archaic in BrE, just as you and Ken have said--you both seem to agree there. On that point, does one really require credentials to make the observations that you and Ken have made?

In sum, rephrasing is the way to go, as you and Ken have suggested (Oh, gee, look at that, you both agree again).:cool:

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
I have similar problems with likely. I use this as an adverb only together with some word such as very or most:

I'll most likely see you tomorrow.

I seem to be encountering the adverb more and more standing alone:

I'll likely see you tomorrow.

This jars on my ears.

lauralie2

Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
China
PS - I did a whois search, and got this:

I wonder what the initial stands for. :-? I'm not saying he's wrong - just that he may be parti pris (French for 'not entirely impartial' ;-))

b
Uhm, just a minor observation. Isn't it against forum rules--all things sacred--to post a person's contact info?

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Uhm, just a minor observation. Isn't it against forum rules--all things sacred--to post a person's contact info?

Surely not... It was a simple whois search. Put 'whois' into your chosen search engine, and it will set you on the path to questioning the value of any web-site; and questioning is a good thing.

b

lauralie2

Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
China
Surely not... It was a simple whois search. Put 'whois' into your chosen search engine, and it will set you on the path to questioning the value of any web-site; and questioning is a good thing.

b
You've missed the point. Yes, questioning is a good thing; it's expected, but posting a person's contact info is bad form. A moderator should know that.

Please don't assume this has anything to do with you personally. It doesn't. :cool:

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Contact details removed - I had no intention of making a potential stalker's life easier! I just wanted to point out that it's important to know where a web source is coming from.

;-)

b

Status
Not open for further replies.