Member Type
Other
Native Language
Japanese
Home Country
Japan
Current Location
Japan
Is it okay to use "after all this time" to mean "up to now" in the following context?

My mother passed away three years ago.

I'm still grieving over her death after all this time. (= I've been grieving over her death up to now.)

Let me confirm that "after all this time" used in the following sentence does not mean "up to now," but it means "despite what has been said or expected."
I've decided to read it again after all this time. (= This time, I've decided to read it again after all.)

Last edited:

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
I'm still grieving over her death after all this time. (= I've been grieving over her death up to now.)

They are not the same. The second version implies to me that you have stopped grieving.

Let me confirm that "after all this time" used in the following sentence does not mean "up to now."
Confirmed.

Rover

Snappy

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Japanese
Home Country
Japan
Current Location
Japan
They are not the same. The second version implies to me that you have stopped grieving.

Confirmed.

Rover

Thanks.
Then "after all this time" means "after a long time that has passed," right?

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Thanks.
Then "after all this time" means "after a long time that has passed," right?

Yes, though the use of this brings that time period up to the time of speaking.

Your interpretation of :

I've decided to read it again after all this time. (= This time, I've decided to read it again after all.) ,

confirmed by Rover is one interpretation. Depending on context and, if the utterance is spoken, intonation, it could also mean a long time that has passed until now. The ambiguity is removed if you place after all after decided or at the end in your interpretation. I feel that this is not so natural, but avoids the possibility of ambiguity in writing. In speech this is not so important, as intonation and pauses will make it clear.

Status
Not open for further replies.