Member Type
Other
Native Language
Lithuanian
Home Country
Lithuania
Current Location
Lithuania
Greetings, I'm not sure if the English language has an equivalent, but here's a somewhat literal translation of the Lithuanian idiom: "Whatever is too much is unhealthy."

paul.moss

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Iran
I probably need a bit more context, but I'd say " something is too much of a good thing".

Anewguest

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Lithuanian
Home Country
Lithuania
Current Location
Lithuania
Thanks a million. That's exactly what I need.

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I probably need a bit more context, but I'd say " something is too much of a good thing".

:up: But Anewguest should note that the 'something' is not a part of the idiom. Something is 'too much of a good thing': example: 'I'd like another, but that would be too much of a good thing'.

When you've had enough of something, you can also say 'Enough is enough', which can lead to a fairly well-worn joke about a Frenchman refusing to eat a second egg because 'Un oeuf ...' (I can't go on;-))

There's also the saying 'Enough is as good as a feast' - but that's a bit old-fashioned (possibly because that sort of self-denial doesn't go well with a society brought up on easy credit. :-( [end of today's sermon])

b

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
When you've had enough of something, you can also say 'Enough is enough', which can lead to a fairly well-worn joke about a Frenchman refusing to eat a second egg because 'Un oeuf ...' (I can't go on;-))

:loling:

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Greetings, I'm not sure if the English language has an equivalent, but here's a somewhat literal translation of the Lithuanian idiom: "Whatever is too much is unhealthy."
"Everything in moderation" is also an idiom that might be appropriate. But it also has the implication that a little bit of something bad won't do you any harm.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
"Everything in moderation" is also an idiom that might be appropriate. But it also has the implication that a little bit of something bad won't do you any harm.

We also have (in BrE) a little bit of what you fancy, though this is more often used as a justification for a spot of self-indulgence instead of a reminder to do things within limits.

:up:

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
We also have (in BrE) a little bit of what you fancy, though this is more often used as a justification for a spot of self-indulgence instead of a reminder to do things within limits.

I don't know which came first - that saying or the song sung by Marie Lloyd - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia, suggesting (suggestively, of course): 'A little of what you fancy does you good'.

b

birdeen's call

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
How about more than enough is too much?