• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • Switzerland

among others

"Among other fields, X operates in the fields of civil and military aviation."

I'm wondering if it would be correct to write: "X operates among others in the fields of civil and military aviation."

It doesn't sound right to me. But using the Latin version of "among others/among other things" might be correct: "X operates inter alia in the fields of civil and military aviation."

What do you think?

Thanks!

1. Senior Member
    Interested in Language
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Serbo-Croatian
      • Home Country:
      • Bosnia Herzegovina
      • Current Location:
      • Bosnia Herzegovina

Re: among others

/A learner/

Quote Originally Posted by Jasmin165 View Post
    "Among some other fields, I operate in the fields of civil and military aviation."

I wonder whether it would be correct to write: "X operates among others in the fields of civil and military aviation." This one doesn't carry the sense of the first one.

It doesn't sound right to me. But using the Latin version of "among others/among other things" might be correct: "X operates inter alia in the fields of civil and military aviation."

I'd say
    I operate in the fields of civil and military aviation, inter alia..

What do you think?

Thanks!

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

"Among other fields, X operates in the fields of civil and military aviation."
    This is awkward because you have to repeat "fields."

I'm wondering if it would be correct to write: "X operates among others in the fields of civil and military aviation."
    No, this means that X and other people operate in civil and military aviation. Translating part of it into Latin doesn't help.

I would say "X operates in the several fields, including civil and military aviation." or for more emphasis on the aviation: "X operates in civil and military aviation, among other fields.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • Canada

I agree it is wrong, because it is ambiguous. Does "others" mean other people, as it usually does? Or are we meant to guess it will refer to some later substantive?