Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Greeting all!

I just wanna know whether this "My brother & Sister has been living in Spain from last 6 years" sentense is correct or not.

Please help :) & thanks in advance :)

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
No. Two people. They have been living there. I assume that the capital letter in sister was just a typo.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Greeting all!

I just want to know whether this sentense is correct or not: "My brother & Sister has been living in Spain from last 6 years"

Please help :) & thanks in advance :)

"My brother & sister have been living in Spain [STRIKE]from[/STRIKE] for the last 6 years"

Gaurav_2010

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Thanks a lot both of you for your replies............

Just want to know one more thing, can we use "from" in Present perfect continuous tense?

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Thanks a lot both of you for your replies............

Just want to know one more thing, can we use "from" in Present perfect continuous tense?

Thanks to Raymott for picking up, once again, a slip that had escaped my attention.

Well, Gaurav, in the sense that you used from, the answer to your question is : not with a time period. I have the feeling that it might be acceptable with a time point:

I have lived here from my childhood on.

I would certainly use since (and drop the on), but I hesitate to dismiss from out of hand. Let's see what others think.

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
:up: (Another slip: sentenCe. But a teacher sometimes does his/her job best by focusing on one Big Thing rather than lots of little ones.)

Here's another example of the pres perf cont with 'from':

'I want to complain. I took the morning off to be in for the delivery. I have been waiting by the door from 8.00 until 12.00, and I have to go to work now.'

b

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
:up: (Another slip: sentenCe. But a teacher sometimes does his/her job best by focusing on one Big Thing rather than lots of little ones.)

Here's another example of the pres perf cont with 'from':

'I want to complain. I took the morning off to be in for the delivery. I have been waiting by the door from 8.00 until 12.00, and I have to go to work now.'

b

Good grief! I think it must be time for me to retire completely. But thanks, BobK, for the excuse you offered me.

Thanks, too, for your example. Would you agree that this would be said only if the time of utterance is (about) 12.00?

I should note, Guarev, that in your examples and mine, from implied a similar meaning to since, and was therefore usually not acceptable. In Bob K's example, from is used in the way it is frequent used, paired with to/till/until; together they note the beginning and end points of a time period. It works with the pres perf cont in BobK's example only because the end point, 12.00, is the present moment. I think. Let's see what BobK thinks.

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
:up: Agreed. (I don't rate it very highly as an example. In real life the stayer-in would more likely [but that's another thread ;-)] call either before the end-point, or after it's passed - and in either case use a different tense.)

b

Status
Not open for further replies.