Two different meanings in a sentence

Status
Not open for further replies.

memory88

Member Type
Student or Learner
I have a question about that sentence "Richard descends" ( Richard II by Shakespeare.) Here we have two different meanings, first Richard is going down the stairs from the top of the castle to meet his enemies and second it implies that Richard is lossing his throne, he is deposed. There should be a literary term for this situation, a sentence with two different meanings, one of them is the real meaning of the sentence and the other is much more ironic. could you help me with this please?

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
I have a question about that sentence "Richard descends" ( Richard II by Shakespeare.) Here we have two different meanings, first Richard is going down the stairs from the top of the castle to meet his enemies and second it implies that Richard is los[STRIKE]s[/STRIKE]ing his throne, he is deposed. There should be a literary term for this situation, a sentence with two different meanings, one of them is the real meaning of the sentence and the other is much more ironic. could you help me with this please?

I can't find a line in the text containing the words Richard descends. Is this a stage direction? If so, then the words convey only the first meaning.

If they are in lines spoken by actors, then it may well have the two meanings you suggest. Someone else may come up with the term you are looking for.

All I can think of is:

Ambiguity: When something may convey two or more different meanings. This is usually not intended by the writer.

Double entendre: When something conveys two or more different meanings, one of which is usually related to sex. This is usually intended by the writer/speaker.

Pun: When a word that has more than one meaning, or two words that have different meanings but sound the same (or very similar), are used with humorous effect.

memory88

Member Type
Student or Learner
Yes, actually it is a stage direction but it makes you feel that it is more than a stage direction like showing readers Richard's situation. But it is okay I think I have got my answer, thank you so much ..

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Yes, actually it is a stage direction but it makes you feel that it is more than a stage direction like showing readers Richard's situation. But it is okay I think I have got my answer, thank you so much ..
Well, not really. Shakespeare didn't write his plays to be read. He might have thought of it, and you might have. But it would be difficult to argue that he put it there for that reason.

Status
Not open for further replies.