• Native Language:
      • Bulgarian
      • Home Country:
      • Bulgaria
      • Current Location:
      • Bulgaria

flatly

Dear teachers,

Would you tell me whether I am right with my interpretation of the expression in bold in the following sentences?

By this time, as he said the gardener, from serious things have been done, could only sell at auction worse than animals, which failed to sell with it, because of them flatly refused more reputable buyers, who have arrived sooner and sooner have served.

He seldom expresses any opinion one day without flatly contradicting it the next.

flatly = in an unqualified manner; categorically

The roof was very flatly arched.

flatly = with a slight bend

Thank you for your efforts.

Regards,

V

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Czech Republic

Re: flatly

The first two: YES
    The third: It seems so.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • Brazil

Quote Originally Posted by vil View Post
    Dear teachers,

Would you tell me whether I am right with my interpretation of the expression in bold in the following sentences?

By this time, as he said the gardener, from serious things have been done, could only sell at auction worse than animals, which failed to sell with it, because of them flatly refused more reputable buyers, who have arrived sooner and sooner have served.

He seldom expresses any opinion one day without flatly contradicting it the next.

flatly = in an unqualified manner; categorically

The roof was very flatly arched.

flatly = with a slight bend

Thank you for your efforts.

Regards,

V
    I agree with fivejedjon about the definition, however, the first sentence in which the expression appears makes no sense whatsoever.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Bulgarian
      • Home Country:
      • Bulgaria
      • Current Location:
      • Bulgaria

Hi riquecohen,

Thank you for your due alarming warning.

Here are two English texts of one and the same passage from two different sources. The former is evident unreliable and it is most likely that it was the origin of all my troubles in the last time. Therefore I must to forget it once and for all and to chuck it in the Lethean waters. The second one is an original by the Guttenberg issue.

. At present, as their informant had observed, but little real business remained on hand, the chief being the sale by auction of a few inferior animals, that could not otherwise be disposed of, and had been absolutely refused by the better class of traders, who came and went early.

I jumped at the following conclusions:

You were dropping a broad hint that “I have to be a reader with more fastidious taste”

V.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • Brazil

I wonder why you have been reading two versions simultaneously. Another poster in another thread commented that the first version sounded like an abysmally bad translation from another language. I agree with that assessment and suggest you stick to the original English text. BTW, no criticism was intended regarding your taste in literature.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Bulgarian
      • Home Country:
      • Bulgaria
      • Current Location:
      • Bulgaria

Hi riquecohen,

The penny has dropped!

It turns out that I am a slow heating resistor. Sure enough I am slow in the uptake. I have found the second version of the novel in question from a reliable source recently. That was put into effect as a result of the pressing and repeated teacher’s warnings that assumed startling proportion lately.

Thank you again for your vigilance.

V.